Saturday, January 5, 2013

More New Year Stuff and Thoughts on Connectedness

So, one of the last things that happened in the old year was that my faithful desktop computer started having the unfortunate habit of rebooting itself without warning.  (Often in the middle of a project.)  I have been using my laptop (also not a spring chicken) for most of my writing and social networking, but the keyboard drives me nuts, and I couldn't really get decent video or sound on either machine.  SO, I am now typing this on my brand-new, super deluxe desktop unit.  It is a Toshiba, an all in one with all the important hardware in the monitor itself.  It is a touch screen, but I have the wireless keyboard, (one of the best I have ever used) and the wireless mouse.  It comes with a top quality dvd player and great sound.  (It even has a remote control so I can watch my dvds from the comfy chair instead of the almost comfy desk chair.  It is much easier to knit in the comfy chair. ) I have hope that the new computer will make me more likely to write in this blog, because it makes it much more pleasant to do so, but given my history, I will not hold my breath.

The other ongoing new thing is my attempt to use Twitter.  I have successfully set up an account, and I have about 6 followers, about half of which are trying to sell me something.  I "follow" a lot of people, mostly celebrities whose work I admire because I want to know what new project is coming up that I might want to see/hear/read.  I have no idea if anything I mention these folks in ever gets to a place where they can see it.  I often feel like I am talking to  myself on Twitter.  (This blog is pretty much that way, too.  I don't think anybody much reads it but me.)  That's OK, though.  I was the youngest child by 12 years, so I spent a lot of time alone.  I am used to talking to myself.

I would like to apologize to those I may have unintentionally bombarded with posts trying to get a link and a few words to explain it to go out together earlier today.  Sheesh!  I am far from a technological incompetent, but some software makes me feel that way.  It is doubtful that Greg Francis or Ron Perlman will ever read my rambles here, but I AM sorry if my ineptitude made a nuisance of me.  That is the last thing I would wish to do.  All I was trying to do was help a friend, a screenwriter, who is part of a project that is eligible for a grant if they get enough "likes" for their video.  Anne Lower is very talented, and deserves to catch a break right now.  She has had successes, but I think this would mean a lot to her.  Here's a link to the project   As for my trying to help, you know what they say about good intentions...


OK, time for what I am SUPPOSED to be writing.
Walking yesterday morning and thinking about how the trees looked against the bright winter sky.  Like fine black fingers reaching toward the crystal blue sky.  The air was cold, crisp, and sweet.  That is one thing I like about Oklahoma.  Nowhere near as much crud in the air as there was in L.A. when I was growing up there.  You can hear yourself think walking around a small suburban neighborhood in Moore, Oklahoma.  There are noises, but in the mid-morning on a weekday, it is pretty quiet.  The only exception is when the stupid train decides to come through. There is one exception to the clear air.  Pollen.  (Thanks ever so much, Texas, for sharing all your cedar pollen with us.  I never had allergies before I moved to Oklahoma.  I think maybe the smog killed the pollen in L.A., but I can't be sure... I left in '89.) 
ANYWAY, as I was walking, I was thinking about how connected I seem to be to the community here.  I work in the public library here in Moore, and though this is a large suburb, it still feels like a small town.  Whenever I go out to the store, the gas station, the movie theater, (and we have a FABULOUS one The Moore Warren) I see library customers or coworkers.  I see members of the church I attend at my library, even though the church is in downtown Oklahoma City, 10 miles away.  St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral
We here in Central Oklahoma have been through a lot of tough times together in the almost 20 years I've lived here.  The Murrah Bombing - see the memorial website - our church suffered 8 million dollars worth of damage, too.  The May 3rd , 1999 tornado- Link to NOAA here -tore apart many lives here in Moore, and we lost quite a few library materials, but that was the least of our problems.  In all these cases, people here responded with care and help for their neighbors in need.  They also went to the government asking for help.  This is what made me SO ASHAMED of our Oklahoma delegation to Congress when they refused to support aid for the victims of Hurricane Sandy.  What horrendous hypocrisy.   Just because they want to stamp their little feets and say they said "NO" to more government spending.  Idiots!  I am proud to say that I did not vote for ANY of them, where I had the chance, I voted for their opponents.   It is difficult sometimes to be an educated and thinking person in Oklahoma, especially so if one must interact with the general public and remain civil.  For the most part, though, folks here are extremely nice, and will not try to force their opinions and beliefs on you.  The exceptions seem to run for office.  Unfortunately, they often win.
All of these thoughts led me to the conclusion that the connection must reach beyond our town and our state, it must reach out to the whole country , and beyond that, to the world.  We must do a better job of living those fine principles we claim to cherish.  EVERYONE ON THE PLANET is our neighbor, and Christians, Jesus told us in no uncertain terms that we must love the Lord our God with all our heart, with all our mind, and with all our spirit, AND OUR NEIGHBOR AS OURSELVES.  "On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."  Well, this year I am going to try and reach out to more of my neighbors like the victims of Sandy.  I sent a donation to www.statenstrong.com, I posted the link and asked friends to help both on Facebook and on Twitter.   I talked to people at work about it.   The harder part of loving my neighbor will be to be tolerant and kind even to those who behave with intolerance and unkindness.  Maybe an example is what they need.  Everyone needs to be loved. 
Please, if you happen to read this, go to StatenStrong and see what they are doing.  Maybe send a little donation.  Also, look around your own community, and maybe beyond, and see what you can do to make the connections a little better by helping, or even just spreading the word that help is needed.  It's one of my resolutions this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!