Friday, August 30, 2013

What's On My Music Lists?

I have two players on my computer that have some things in common, but the Windows Media Player has more of my pre-computer collection.  (CDs I have owned for awhile and uploaded just to my machine.)  I also have an Amazon Cloud Player that I can access from my phone.
These are the albums I own on each.  Make of it what you will, but I'll just tell you that my taste is EXTREMELY eclectic.

On Cloud Player:
Abba (by Abba, of course)
All That Echoes by Josh Groban
Another Parcel of Steeleye Span
As Time Goes By - Rod Stewart, Great American Songbook
Banger For Breakfast by Wicked Tinkers
Cats- the Original Broadway Cast recording
Choral Music - Beyond Chant,- Music of Palestrina & others
The Definitive Rod Stewart
Drunken Lullabies by Flogging Molly
The Essential Leonard Cohen
Reuiem: Faure - Rutter Arrangement
Fly Me To The Moon Rod Stewart, Great American Songbook
From The Mighty Oaks by Ray Thomas (Don't ask.  Suffice it to say it reminds me of an old friend)
Gold Tom Jones 1965-1975
Greatest Hits Vols 1 and 2 by Billy Joel
Highwayman - Jennings, Nelson, Cash, & Kristofferson
It Had To Be You - Rod Stewart Great American Songbook
Modern Times by Al Stewart
Pacific Rim Soundtrack
Drift (Pacific Rim) featuring Blake Perlman
Past, Present and Future by Al Stewart
Phantom of the Opera - Original London Cast Recording
Queen  Platinum Collection
Red Roses For Me - Pogues
Rutter Requiem
Frank Sinatra - Best of the Best
Stardust - Rod Stewart, Great American Songbook
Super Trooper - Abba
Thanks For The Memory - Rod Stewart Great American Songbook
Time - Rod Stewart
Trio - Parton, Ronstadt, & Harris
Trio II - Parton, Ronstadt & Harris
Under The Influence - Straight No Chaser
Very Best of Harry Belafonte
Year Of The Cat by Al Stewart

If that isn't weird enough, here's what's on my Media Player that ISN'T on the Cloud Player

The #1 Soprano Album - Great Arias by the Great Voices
28 Irish Pub Songs - Various Artists
Beaches Soundtrack - Bette Middler
Bells of St. Genevieve, Baroque masterpieces
Blue Moo by Sandra Boynton
Brave Soundtrack
Callas: La Divina - Maria Callas
 Cool Celtic 2 Various Artists
Dirty Dancing Soundtrack
Empty Sky - Elton John
An Evening With John Denver
Greatest Hits - Chicago
Greatest Hits -  Bangles
Grunt - Pigorian Chant by Sandra Boynton (wherein pigs sing in pig Latin, and all other creatures sing in actual Latin.)
Heart & Soul- 50 Years of Motown Hits
Hits Vol. 2 - Abba
Hits Vol. 3 - Abba
I Love A Sing Along Scottish Favorites
An Innocent Man - Billy Joel
La Divina 2 - Maria Callas
A Little Jazz Mass
Love & Liberte by Gipsy Kings
Mozart Portraits - Cecilia Bartoli
Mysterium - Sacred Arias- Angelina Gheorghiu
News of the World - Queen
A Night At The Opera - Queen
Of Love and Hope- Music and Poetry from Beauty and the Beast - Ron Perlman
(Don't judge.  I could listen to that voice all day...)
Philadelphia Chickens - Sandra Boynton
Precious Friend - Arlo  Guthrie and Pete Seeger
Some People's Lives - Bette Middler
Songs of Love and Parting - Robin Williamson
Tales Of Mystery and Imagination - based on the works of Edgar Allan Poe - Alan Parsons Project
Very Best of Elton John
Vivaldi Gloria and Magnificat
When Irish Eyes are Smilin' - Various Artists
Wilson Phillips - by Wilsonn Phillips, of course.

We own MANY more CDs that are not uploaded to the various music playing devices in the house.  They are played on the CD player in the living room, or on the computers, or the boom box we own, but usually, I play the stuff that's already on the computer. The Sandra Boynton albums are for children, really, but they are so witty and fun that adults won't mind them, either.  So, if you need kids music that won't drive you insane, try those.  (Blue Moo is my favorite.  B.B. King singing the One Shoe Blues is priceless!)
Mowed the lawn to the accompaniment of the Traveling Wilburys.  Took my morning walk with Highwayman.  The song Deportee, originally written by Woody Guthrie, made me realize that some issues in our lives here in America hang on for a long time.  This song was written about migrant workers, Hispanic migrant workers, and sadly, it is about as timely today as it was when Woody wrote it. (In the late '40s.) 
A lot of times when I walk lately, I've played the soundtrack from Pacific Rim.  It has great walking music. 
The Pete Seeger / Arlo Guthrie album Precious Friend is from live concerts they did in 1980, I believe. I got to go to the one in the Greek Theater in Los Angeles.  It was a BLAST! 
The Tales of Mystery and Imagination album, by Alan Parsons Project and based on the works of Poe I was introduced to in a P.E. class at Los Altos High School.  Our Modern Dance Class used it for several exercises.  I found the Pogues because of Michael Ornstein, and because of them being on my Pandora feed, I heard Flogging Molly, and Drunken Lullabies. 
Some days, I feel very nostalgic,and I listen to Sinatra and Tom Jones.  Reminds me of happy family times, 'cause Mom listened to them on the radio when I was little. 
Of course, Billy Joel, Rod Stewart, and Elton John bring back my high school and early college years, the opera albums help me learn new pieces, and Abba is what Matt and I listened to a lot when we were dating.
The Great American Songbook Albums done by Rod Stewart are just relaxing to listen to.  The arrangements are lush, and  the songs suit his voice, for the most part.
Gipsy Kings are just FUN.
I like the Trio albums by Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris because the songs are beautiful, their voices blend so beautifully, and the harmonies are glorious.
So.  Now you know more about me than you want to know, probably.  What's on YOUR mp3 player?

As Ever,
Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!