Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Another Miscellaneous Wednesday



 "The sun whose rays are all ablaze in everliving glory
does not deny his majesty, he scorns to tell a story.
He won't exclaim "I blush for shame, so kindly be indulgent" 
But fierce and bold in fiery gold he glories all effulgent. I mean to rule the earth as he the sky; we really know our worth the sun and I."

 - Gilbert and Sullivan, from The Mikado





 The air so hot
The sun so hot
The pavement sizzles
My shoes feel like
They could melt.
The air so thick
I'm sweating
Just standing here.
Glasses won't stay
On my nose,
Summer is NOT
My favorite.

We have been fortunate this year in Central Oklahoma.  We have not already had long runs of 100 degree days.  Only the last few have been quite that hot.  We've had plenty of rain, so not as much danger of wildfires, either.  Just that I was getting used to the cooler weather.  To now be blasted with this withering heat is so unfair.  Especially when I have to walk twice a day in order to get enough exercise.
Thanks be to God for air conditioning.  Civilization would cease to exist completely here without it.

Been thinking about songs and lyrics a lot lately.  Friends have been playing a type of "Name That Tune" by quoting lyrics.  I stumped some with words from Sandra Boynton's "Faraway Cookies" from Philadelphia Chickens.  I love that album, mostly because it makes my friend Melodie laugh.  Melodie got me started listening to it when we were working in the library together one day.  Melodie is fighting cancer now, and anything that makes her laugh or smile is important to me.  I can usually cheer her up by singing "I got those Dinosaur Blues.  From my hat to my shoes..."  She remembers our afternoon of listening and laughing, and she will at least smile.  She is amazing.  She is working her usual schedule, and still seems to have her usual great attitude toward everyone.  She is generous and caring, and I have always said I want to be like Melodie when I grow up.  Ever since I met her 14 years ago, I have been glad that I know her.  She is the most Christ-like Christian I know.  She has a truly loving heart.

At least the new sorting machine at the library is working this week.  It is so much faster and more interactive with the customers than the old one was.  It will print a list of what they turned in, if they want it.  It makes our lives easier not having to rush out to the other side of the library to empty the short sort bins several times a day.  This sorter feeds items into our work area, and has 7 bins instead of two, so it is easier for us to do the necessary sorting and/or double checking more quickly and efficiently.  The technology is not replacing us, it is merely making our jobs easier, at least as long as the power stays on and it keeps working!  Shorty had to be briefly revived last week when the new sorter decided it had a faulty circuit board.  Shorty has now been retired once again. Poor little machine was never meant to live in a cupboard, but we made it live inside our book drop cupboard.  It is a wonder it has lasted as many years as it has, and really has worked pretty well in spite of the few glitches we had now and then.

This hot weather has made me vaguely depressed.  Every now and then I just feel kinda down and out of sorts. No good reason for it other than it's too darn hot.
Have been working hard at voice lessons on a new depth developing in my voice.  Supporting the sound properly is a real workout right now as things adjust.  As things get stronger in the new area, I won't have to push quite so hard to get air out, and it will be easier to control and maintain.  Now, it gets wobbly when I run low on air, and the high notes haven't stretched into the right spot yet for the new resonance.  Vocal tweaking is so much fun.  Add my allergies into the mix, and I've been having LOTS of fun.  Looking forward to seeing how this develops.  To think 11 years ago I started lessons, and had "a little pipsqueak soprano voice" as Karen would say.  Now I have a fuller, more controlled soprano voice,and it's getting richer and fuller all the time as we work on it.

As it is getting late, and I am running out of miscellany to write about, I guess I'll call this one good.  Wish I could write more, but it's been too hot to be very inspired, so none of the poetry has gone much of anywhere lately.
As Ever,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!