Monday, February 25, 2013

Birthday Thoughts

So the day when I am officially another year older has arrived.  I was afraid it would be a day I would struggle to be cheerful, because the local weather hyenas started howling this weekend about "blizzard conditions" in the metro today. (Well, there are monsoon conditions here so far today, maybe, but not one snowflake so far.  Northwest is another story!)   As someone who grew up in the land of sunshine, orange trees, droughts, smog, and traffic, the thought of a blizzard is depressing.  Being trapped in the house for long periods of time is not my idea of fun. ( Don't get me wrong, we have a nice house, and lots of things to keep us entertained, and we DO still enjoy each other's company, but I am somewhat claustrophobic.  The very idea of not being able to go outside if I feel like it gives me the willies!)

The day itself, however, has been full of blessings.  First off, no snow, just rain.  (We NEED rain, and I can drive in rain.)  I got out early and got all the groceries bought, and my allowance and gas money out of the bank.  The groceries came in under budget thanks to coupons, and putting them away didn't take too awfully long.  Stew is in the crock pot for a nice, cozy birthday dinner.  (With sourdough bread to toast in the broiler to go with it!)  All the cleaning is done, so now if we get stuck in the house, it will be in a fresh, clean, good-smelling house. 

An especially nice blessing is having my voice back to just about normal.  I have been so afraid it was gone for good, but the mid - range is back in place, and I am Go! for any and all singing that needs to be done!

There have been really special birthday wishes sent to me today.  I forget how many dear people that I care about also care about me.  My Facebook feed has been overflowing with loving good wishes.  Most of these are folks I have either met face to face, or have corresponded with for so long, that we feel like we've known each other forever.  There are family wishes in there, too.  MY big brother, and NOBODY else's, is the only of my siblings on Facebook, and he always greets me there, as well as sending a card.  I got a sweet post from one of my nieces - in- law, too.  One of my Facebook friends who is also on Twitter sent me a nice birthday tweet, and so did an actor/artist that I follow.  The icing on the birthday cake of this day though, was a nice, short, 'happy birthday' from a busy man that I admire.  It was the perfect topper for a day that turned out so much nicer than I was afraid it would.

Throughout the day were little reminders of how blessed and how precious this life is.  There were lots of nice people at the base today, from the gate guard to the cashier and the bagger at the commissary who were cheerful and helpful in spite of the yucky cold wet weather.  Those that looked at my ID card even wished me a happy birthday.  (Nice to know they actually look at the darn thing when I go to the trouble to have it out for them!)
My dear husband had a sweet little gift for me when he got home.  A while back, I had lamented that one pair of my full size sewing shears had just disappeared.  He replaced them today with an even nicer pair.  A small thing, perhaps, but so very thoughtful and attentive of him to remember my lamentation over "the good scissors".
There have been other "birthday presents" that we have bought together.  Like this fabulous new computer that I got right after Christmas because the old one up and died.  (It was only five years old, which is about 110 in computer years...) I got a Nook HD+ on Friday because the old Nook Color, while still working, is getting harder and harder to keep charged when using the Wi-Fi.  This new one will let me watch Netflix on the go on a screen that is much more watchable than my phone.  (Needs Wi-Fi connection, but that is cheaper than the data on my phone when it goes over the contract limit!)   I can also be environmentally responsible at church and download the service bulletin to the Nook HD+, and not have to use a paper bulletin.  (Quieter during the service, too!)  I have also acquired a Bodhran and an istructional dvd to help me learn to play it.  I intend to do so.  I've wanted to learn for awhile now.
So, this birthday is a LOT better than I feared it would be.  Thanks again to all those who have made it so.
All my Facbook friends and family, (you know who you are!)  Also, Anne Lower, Michael M. Ornstein, Ron Perlman, Mary Stolfa, Anna Cathy Wells, and Fiona.  (Rusty, I know you are sending good wishes, too, but I also know you are buried in job training! ;-) ) Phyllis C., commissary cashier extraordinaire, and Matthew Douglas Amistead, husband who goes above and beyond the call for me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!