Monday, December 6, 2010

Advent Day 9 : Today I am Grateful For Warm Things



Today has been a very cold day.  Had to wear my thermals under the workout wear to walk the dog this morning.  The dog was limping, even though he was anxious to be out and about, because the cold got to his stiff and achy joints. 
One of the first things I did upon returning home was make a small pot of coffee.  The nice, hot coffee warmed me up and of course it helped keep me awake. 
One of the next things I did was put on a nice, soft fleece shirt.  I've been wearing it all day.  Keeps me toasty if I don't sit still too long.
My coat came in handy when I went for my voice lesson and when I went out again later.  Also, when Matt came home, he made barbecue soup, which was perfect for this very cold day.
I sat and did a little reading after dinner, and during that time, I had a nice, warm cat on my lap.  After I fed the cat and the dog, I turned on the electric mattress pad on our bed so it would be nice and toasty when we crawl in.  The cat likes to curl up between the pillows I stack on top and sleep until we get ready for bed.  She then sleeps between us, where she can best pin down the covers over both of us.  (Making it difficult to move.)
I was thinking about all these warm things I have to help me make it through a cold day, and remembering as I set up the manger that Jesus didn't have much to keep him warm, and even in that climate, nights are cold.  The animals in that stable surely provided some warmth, but to quote an old movie "Boy, that's not all!" 
Many children in the world today don't have enough to keep them warm.  Physically in some cases, emotionally in others.  I want to try to do what I can to help keep others warm.  Maybe donate to a charity that will give them something to keep their body warm, and maybe smile a bit more and be kinder to help warm their hearts. 
The pictures above are our manger that we set up every year.  We purchased  it at the Base Exchange at Rhein-Main Air Base.  It was the last one, and didn't have the right box.  We are still using the one they gave us to carry it home in. ( That was probably in 1989.  )  For those of you not from liturgical traditions, you may be wondering why Baby Jesus isn't in the manger.  Simple.  We are still waiting for him to get here.  He gets here on Christmas Eve, and that's when he goes in the manger.  (Right now, as you can see, He is resting comfortably  upside down in a shot glass in the drawer in the wine cabinet in our living room.  Yes, that is a little weird.  But hey, we never forget where he is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!