Sunday, December 12, 2010

Advent Day 14: Today I am Thankful for Books







As you can see, books are pretty important around here.  I have four that I am reading right now.  The items in the bookshelves actually belong to us.  There are LOTS more books in Matt's office.  Books provide inspiration, entertainment, escape, knowledge, guidance, and just plain fun.  All of the books I am currently reading are checked out of the library where I work.  I deal with books several hours a day.  Still, I love books.  I may eventually obtain an e-reader, simply because I fear that actual books may no longer be printed.  I LOVE the feel of books, the heft of them, the fact that they do not require batteries, the fact that my cookbooks (which collection I did not photograph), can be splashed on with little damage done, provided I clean them off promptly.  (I don't think an electronic device would fare so well.)  Besides, curling up with an electronic device is just not the same as curling up with a book I've had for years and enjoy re-reading. 
Sometimes, I find things stuck in my books that I don't remember putting in them.  They are not always bookmarks, but sometimes just something I got out of the mail the day I happened to be reading that book. 
There are sometimes things left in library books.  The most unusual one I ever came across was a car payment, all stamped and ready to mail.  We called the customer and asked if they wanted us to go ahead and mail it, and they did, so we dropped it in with our outgoing mail.  I try to not leave things in the library's books. 
I cannot believe how fast Advent is going this year, and I don't know how I'm going to get all my library books read in time.  There are still cookies to be made, packages to be mailed, and gifts to be wrapped.  Most of all, there is still the need to stop and reflect on the meaning of the season, and the things that are in my life that mean the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!