Saturday, December 4, 2010

Advent Day 7: Today I am thankful for my friends.

A lot of today was spent in preparation for an evening with two of our good friends:  Mike and Nancy Rogers.  We get together pretty much every week during football season to watch the OU games and share good food and fellowship.  We have known Mike and Nancy since 1995, when we started singing in the choir at St. Paul's.  Over the years we have had lots of fun together going to movies and on day trips and watching football and cooking together.  (I swear, I cannot have a party without Nancy.  Not only would I miss her company, but she is always so willing to help.  She keeps me organized and helps keep the kitchen going.)
We also have some old friends on face book that are friends we met in Germany when we were stationed at Rhein-Main.  Rich and Stephanie Rosenfeld, and their son David shared many fun afternoons and evenings with us watching old Allo, Allo episodes and talking and laughing and sharing stories.  We don't see the Rosenfelds much anymore, since they live in Texas, but we do keep up on face book, and Rich shares his sense of humor regularly there. 
Friends like these are true treasures.  Mike and Nancy have been there for us when we really needed help, and we have done our best to be there for them.  Likewise, Rich and Stephanie were always there.  They are still constant in their care for us.  We also keep them in our prayers.  I truly hope that we return at least as much love and care to all these good friends as they have shared with us over the years. 
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.  I think we have chosen wisely.  I am thankful for the years of shared experiences and history and caring we have.
I am also grateful for all the new friends and the old friends I have been able to find and keep up with on face book.  I have met most of them in person, but some are friends I know from years-long email correspondence.  I lost one such friend earlier this year.  Christi Mead Nielson left this world due to complications after a surgery.  I still miss her name in my inbox, and her comments on face book.  She was witty and caring, and also a major Nebraska Cornhuskers fan.  (Since Mike and Nancy are OU alums, and Matt works for OU, we tend to have different loyalties where football is concerned!)  I thought of Chris a lot tonight during the game.  I can't help but think that she was there, and as much on pins and needles as we all were, watching that very closely matched game.  Every time Nebraska scored, even though it was bad for OU, I was happy for Chris.  I told Nancy that it wasn't fair, really.  Nebraska has an angel cheering them on.
I have a sampler on my living room wall that says "Make new friends, but keep the old.  Those are silver, these are gold.  New made friendships, like new wine, age will mellow and refine."  It is true.  The best friends are old friends, but new friends can add to the richness of life.  I hope to keep all my old friends, even if, like Chris, I someday have to keep them only in my heart.
Take good care, all of you, of yourselves.  You are important to me.
Above is a picture of my cat, and Nancy and Mike Rogers who prove that true friends will even put up with your Ubiquitous Cat.  (Madame Skye, who seemed to be everywhere and into everything today.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!