Monday, February 24, 2014

Birthday Week Adventures, Part 1

It's that time of year again. The end of February, when the weather is probably going to be grey, cold, and disagreeable, but I'll be happy anyway.  Time for me to take my annual birthday week off of work.  Yep.  Another birthday. Getting older is rather unpleasant in many ways, but it sure beats the only available alternative.  This year I am 28 pounds lighter than I was last year, which makes me feel pretty good about myself.
So far, since Friday evening when I got off of work, the birthday week festivities have included:  Dinner at Panda Garden with Matt on Friday, a full day of laundry, housework, and exercise on Saturday, first Sunday back at church since I got over the horrible sinus plague, a relaxing Sunday afternoon followed by a very enjoyable evening having dinner with Mary Stolfa, her daughters and her grandson.  Mary and I always laugh a lot when we get together, and Sunday night was no exception.
Me & Mary being goofy.
Today I had my voice lesson and did the grocery shopping.  (The once a month marathon at the commissary.)  This took from 10 am until 3 pm for the voice lesson, the shopping, and the putting away of the groceries.

While I was at the commissary, I had a nice visit with an older lady (almost as old as my Mom) who needed some help getting things off the top shelves now and then.  We were mostly going on a parallel course, so I helped her a few times, and I noticed that others did, too.  Nice to know that in this world, people will still help a little old lady reach things from the top shelf.  Not surprising in the commissary, really.  We're all family, after all.  Military is a big family.  Whole of Oklahoma tends to be that way though.  Kind-hearted people, really, even when we don't like each other's politics, a neighbor is still a neighbor.

Tomorrow is actually my birthday.  I have an appointment to followup on the treatment I received for the sinus infection.  I feel pretty much normal now, so that ought to be a quick appointment.  Need to get my walk and my elliptical time in, because Matt is making corned beef for dinner, and I have to go right now and see about frosting my birthday cake.  Orange supreme cake with dark chocolate frosting.  Ought to be really good.  Will also have the pleasure of the company of our friends Mike and Nancy Rogers.

I hope to get Matt to make some decent pictures of me.  Don't know if that is possible, given crappy weather outside and no good place to make pictures in the house.  Add the fact that I am not as young as I once was, and well, pictures could be depressing.  However, the weight difference always cheers me up! :)
It's fifteen minutes until 11 pm, and I think there are still  towels waiting for me to fold them and put them away.  So, I shall end this part of the birthday week report, and hope that tomorrow's will be more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!