Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Blank Page is a Blank Page

Even if it is electronic and on a computer screen, a blank page remains the intimidating large expanse of emptiness.
One sits down with all sorts of ideas about what one MIGHT write, and they are all scared away by the large, imposing blankness.
My grand ideas flee away at the first sight of the white (or whatever color) paper or screen before me. I will sit down with a good intent and a purpose, and the blankness transfers from the page or screen to my brain. All I had thought of is gone. Chased away, absorbed, erased, I don't know, but gone, for sure.
Tonight I am so weary I can hardly think at all, let alone think STRAIGHT.
I don't know why I should be so weary. My legs ache and I feel sleepy all the time. I did stand a lot at work today, but I always do. I didn't do any extra exercise or anything that would tire me out. Hope I am not coming down with the bug du jour from the library.
Little children are often quite generous with their germs. They sneeze on us, the books, our computers and anything else they get close to.
The grownups aren't a whole lot better. The bring a stack of books to the desk explaining that they are late and they want to pay the fines. "Oh, I was so sick, I just didn't want to go anywhere, even here to drop off my books. " Thanks so much, I think as I grab the disinfectant wipes to clean off the books. Is it any wonder we library employees are among the first in line every year when the county starts giving flu shots? Is it any wonder we go through so many packages of wipes and hand sanitizer every year? Don't forget all the antibacterial hand soap for the bathrooms.
On a totally different, completely off the wall topic, how can we convince Mike Rowe that the library is just full of dirty jobs? Gee, I guess we could let him clean out the outside book drop, or follow our building custodian around. The sheer, subtle volume of human grime does get to you after awhile, though. The books can be quite dirty. That is one reason we clean them from time to time. The children's books especially. (Come on, you know you let the books get on the floor of the car with heaven only knows what else. Everybody has done it at least once.)
Sorting through the damaged materials with my boss is a dirty job. Literally and figuratively. She has to call the person whose book has come back covered in some substance we charitably decide must be lemon Kool-Aid. The book is no longer fit to circulate, and so the patron must be charged for the book which was damaged while they were responsible for it. This can get dirty, because people like to get a bit self righteous about how they treat books. (Usually their kids are in the background saying things like "That's the book Billy fished out of the toilet." or "That's the book Timmy spilled his Kool-Aid on.") Rule number one: If you are going to fib on the phone to a library employee, don't have your young children nearby. They know all, and they share all.
Maybe Mike Rowe could follow our building maintenance guys around. They have to maintain all the city's buildings, and so they are a couple of really busy guys. Quite often dirty guys, too.
The real reason I'd like to get Mike Rowe to the library is that maybe I could get him to sing some opera. I know a few arias myself, and the staff like music. Some of the other ladies would just like him around to improve the scenery. Maybe we should suggest it to him. You never know, they might bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!