Monday, December 1, 2014

Of Books, Birthday Cards, Backaches, and Advent

I am almost done with the cataloging of the physical books I own.  In fact, before I post this tonight, I will have finished the cookbooks.  (I'm taking a break, see "Backaches" mentioned above.) 
There are over 900 books so far.  I am not cataloging the books in Matt's office.  That's HIS job, if he wants to do it.  There are almost 300 books on my Nook reader, and I have no idea which ones may already be in the database because I put them in Goodreads when I read them.  Just going to have to type those ISBNs in and see what I get.

I have an AWFUL lot of books about writing.  I have a lot of books on prayer, too.  Of course, I have a LOT of music books, too.  The cookbook collection trumps them all, though.  I have two bookcases in the dining room full of cookbooks.  I also have several cookbooks on my Nook.  The ones on the Nook are nice because you can keyword search the contents.  EASY to find a recipe.  Downside is, gotta find a way to protect the device while you use it in the kitchen.  Not usually too big a deal.  If I know it's going to be a situation where flour will be flying, or there may be splatters, I put the Nook on the far side of the peninsula, or on the dining table, and I walk over and write down the next few steps so as to avoid damage.

Back from finishing the cookbooks.  Database book count now at 1,013.  That is all of the physical books, plus a few digital ones.  Now for the Birthday Cards. 


I make the cards for the staff birthdays at the library where I work.  My Hallmark Card Software updated today, so along with the cards I feel qualified (ie I know the people well enough) to make custom, I have new prefab cards to choose from.  It is refreshing to be able to access new content.  Sometimes I just can't come up with a good custom card, even when I know the person pretty well.  Can't make the idea work, usually.  I try to touch on their hobbies or favorite entertainers when I make cards. I'll be back when I finish the cards for December birthdays, I HOPE!

I made it!  It isn't even midnight yet! Yay!  All the December birthday cards are done. Including a couple that I apparently didn't  need to make for a couple of our police officers who used to work security for us.  Hmm.  Oh, well, I can still have people sign the one card and I'll mail it to the police station. 

My back feels a lot better now that I'm no longer crawling around on the floor pulling books off bottom shelves, scanning them, and putting them back.  My left leg hurts, but that's the way I've been sitting here. 


It is officially Advent.  The season of preparation for Christmas in the more liturgical Christian traditions.  (Catholic, Episcopalian, some Lutheran, some Methodist, and some Presbyterian congregations.)  At  our house, it means that Christmas decorations trickle in slowly.  Today, I put the December quilt square on the door in the entry hall.  It was made by my Mom and is hand quilted.  It's a wreath, very seasonal.  Tomorrow, the jingly bells that go on the doorknobs may show up, and maybe some stuffed animals.  I like to prepare carefully for Christmas, not rush it.  We don't do it up really big anymore, but we have friends and special food, and we put up the tree eventually.  No kids in our house, so it's easier to be more meditative about it.
The one thing that may panic me is, I haven't done Christmas cards yet!  Gotta get on that, I used to always do them the day after Thanksgiving, but this year, I had The Book Cataloging Project. 

The hour grows late, it's cold in here, and I am more than tired. 
If you stuck with me this far, I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!