Friday, May 30, 2014

Miscellaneaous Day

Today has been very miscellaneous.  A lot of my days are.  
Today was about cleaning the house in a hurry before work.
It was also about getting my walk in so I would at least have SOME exercise to my credit today.  Besides, it was beautiful out this morning.  My walk was as usual, a very uplifting experience.  This is just a typical middle-class neighborhood, maybe verging more on working class, but it's nice, most places well kept, and many have lovely gardens.  Many people wave to me and smile.  They see me all the time, after all.  Some even remember me from the library.
I have a large collection of music I listen to when I walk.  This week I added three volumes of Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits to the mix.  Now I have more to think about when I walk whenever one of his comes up on the mix. 

Work was busy, as we are only in the second official day of Summer Reading Sign Ups.  Lots of kids, parents, grandparents.  Lots of things checking in because this is also fine forgiveness week.  Lots of people paying off old fines to get a fresh start for Summer Reading Season.
Lots also coming in with Friends donations.  Guess it's also the beginning of Permanent Change of Station moves for the military, and a lot of the tornado victims are moving back into rebuilt homes.  So, a lot of very interesting books are coming in for the Friends to sell.  I found several today that appeal to my eclectic interests.  1,000 Places To See Before You Die , Office Haiku , Oxford Hachette French Dictionary , The New College Latin and English Dictionary , Street French , The Book of Courtly Love , and The Intellectual Devotional .  Earlier this month, I found a copy of  Star Trek Lives , a book about fandom and conventions and one fan's experience that I read years ago.  It's great fun.  Also found an antiquated little book called The Story Of Scotland , by F. Fraser Darling  It was sold at the Burns Cottage gift shop.  Beautiful illustrations. 
So, I have gained a few treasures this week, some I went in search of, and others that I happened upon. 

I have also had some fun conversations in the last few days.  Some on Twitter, some face to face. 
The door to the staff work area was left open yet again, and my desk area is right there.  Two of the photos Ron Perlman autographed for me are facing toward the door.  (The Beauty and the Beast photo, and the photo of Ron and me from Dallas Comic Con.)  A customer had  called in the door to see if one of her hold books had arrived yet, as it was not on the hold shelf, and I happened to be right there.  She smiled and said "I love your pictures.  Especially the top one." ( Beauty and the Beast photo)  She's another BATB fan.  Not really into fandom per se, and hadn't even tried to find Ron or Linda on social media.  I told her about the pages I know about. Told her there are great BATB fan sites out there if she hadn't found them yet.    I also told her that yes, Ron Perlman is a sweetheart to his fans.  Especially those of us who've been fans for  a long time.   She said that she's always heard that about him. 

The photos I display at work are copies, by the way.  The originals are safely framed and on the walls here in my office.  I like having the photos at work to remind me that dreams do come true! 
(Also gives my boss something to tease me about.  He calls my work area "The Perlman Shrine.")

The problem with miscellaneous days like this is that my mind wanders off in all sorts of odd directions, especially if I'm trying to write.  This is rather short, and rather disjointed, but today felt very short of time and very disjointed.  Lots of stuff done, time flying by. 
Many things I think about doing and never get around to.  At least tonight I am writing, and listening to some music I really like, getting ready to go read a bit more, perhaps. 

Thanks for reading.  I do seem to have a few of you who read pretty regularly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!