Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Catching Up

I have returned from the wilds of far Southern Alabama.  I got back a week ago Tuesday, but I have been busy getting a BUNCH of things done since then.
I was in Alabama to help celebrate my Mom's 90th birthday.  My sister, niece, and aunt conspired long-distance (sis and niece are in CA, aunt is in AL) to plan a surprise party for Mom.  All of us kids, AND my Uncle F.H. flew in for the occasion.  Mom had no idea my brothers or my uncle were coming.  We had a great time.  It was good to see everybody again, but I still felt like the dumb little kid tagging along when the other 3 were busy talking about stuff that happened long before I was born.  (Of course, MOST of my life happened after they moved out of the house.  I'm the youngest by 12 years.) 
Here's the four of us at Mom's.  Unfortunately, I was wearing my old clothes that I keep at Mom's since my other stuff was all on it's way back to Oklahoma, or waiting to be worn on the plane the next day.  I promise, I am NOT that fat.  Susie & Walt were wearing work clothes, too.  Butch never wears a shirt without a collar.  Never, ever saw him in one that I can remember.  At least he's lost the felt tip pen stuck between the buttons on his shirt.  Nobody tried to tickle me, either, so at least in that regard they have realized that I am a grown up. 
My uncle F.H. and his Ipad at Mom's party.  A common sight during this trip.

The Birthday Girl holding court.
Me messing with my phone camera at the party.
Mom and all the family at her party.  Cousin Carl is hiding behind his momma, my Aunt Margaret. Sue, mother of the world's greatest nephews, is next to me and in front of Walt (father of said nephews.)  We're still trying to figure out how Uncle F.H. got to be so tall.  This family tends to be on the short side, and here he is, taller than everybody!

The day after the party, we did yard work!  With Walt and Sue helping, Susie and I got the whole yard done in one day!  That NEVER happens!  I told her we gotta rent these people for October. 

Since I've been home, I've spent several days getting my OWN yard in order.  Lots of raised beds to clean out and plant, and lots of work to do on the front flower beds, too.  They are all done now, but I very much fear that as I type this, torrential rain may be flattening some of the new plants I put out.  It never fails.  I just can't win with gardening in Oklahoma.  I'll have to get up and assess the damage in the morning. 
Here are some pictures of the plants when I got done with all the hard work:









These are the plants before planting in the beds.




That's about all I have time for.  Gotta get off of here before the weather gets too emphatic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!