Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday



Just home from a very moving service at St. Paul's Cathedral, where I have been a member for about 20 years now.  My church home is always a source of blessing, peace, and instruction for me.
This time of year, sitting as close as we do to the shadow of the Murrah Building bombing,and the Memorial that is just down the street, Good Friday has a bit more emotional impact than usual.
After hearing Bishop Ed's sermon, I started hearing the first part of this poem in my head, over and over, telling me I needed to write when I got home.  So, here I am, and here it is.
I hope it speaks to some of you as these words spoke to me and asked to be written.

Good Friday Meditation
By C.K. Armistead
April 18, 2014


 Let me not forget
The price paid by  Love
For the love
Of imperfect me.
Let me not forget the cost
Of the grace I so often
Seem to take for granted.
Help me share the Love
That has been given to me
Not just when it is easy
But when it hurts
As well.
For Love did not
Abandon me
When loving me hurt
So very much.
Love stayed beside me
And watched through the night
And was still there at dawn.
Help me to be as steadfast
In loving those around me
As Love has been in
Loving me.
For Love is a gift
That is only truly accepted
In giving it away. 
When it is given,
It does not diminish,
As material gifts do,
Instead,
It increases,
And that gift of Love
Can light
The Entire World.



Whatever faith you hold to, or even if you have none, may you be blessed this day, and may Love find you, and surround you, and may you know that the God I love, who is called Love in John's letters in the New Testament; loves you, whether you think so or not.  Whether you believe or not, whether you care or not, whether you are straight or gay, male or female, no matter what your ethnic background or religious tradition, you are loved.  All who know Love will also love you, and welcome you. 
I constantly strive to show love as I have been loved.  It is not easy.  MANY fail to love, harden their hearts, some even hate in the name of the one whom we call Love.  Don't be dragged down by them.  Remember we are called to love, especially those of us who profess to believe in Jesus.   I sincerely apologize for the many times I fall  short of the calling to love, and I pray you forgive my lack, as I ask my God to strengthen my resolve to love, to show Love to others.

Peace,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!