Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Poetry Experiments

Hiding.
C.K. Armistead
June 5, 2013

Behind the smile
Can you see the tears?
Beyond the wiles
I have used all these years.

Be a lady, be charming
Smile, always smile
Deep thoughts are alarming
And seldom in style.

But the thoughts are there
Drawing me to ponder
The truth of the face I wear
And luring me with wonder.

I am a lady, I am charming
I do smile, and gladly
My thoughts are not alarming
Nor do they pass sadly.

I can see now that there
Is more to everyone
Than the faces we wear
So easily undone.

We all wear a mask
To hide truths that we fear
When the better task
Would be to show the tears.



Oklahoma Spring

C.K. Armistead June5, 2013

When the sun is shining
And the air is sweet
The sky is the most beautiful
And life feels complete.
 Then the clouds will gather
And the thunder will be heard
And we all will wonder
If tornadoes will appear.
 You learn right quick
On this prairie plain
What's really important
And what's just a game.
 Houses can be rebuilt
Lost things replaced
Good neighbors and friends
Are better than gold.
 It's not the beauty of this place
That makes us want to stay
Not the low cost of living
We don't think of it that way.
 The reason we're still here
Has more to do with love
With grit and perseverance
And faith in God above.
 Even those who don't believe
Are welcome in this place
For we love our neighbors
Regardless of race or creed.
 And when the storms are over
We come out and set to work
Rebuilding lives and memories
Glad to see each other well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!