Sunday, May 1, 2016

The End Of Poetry Month

I have just added the last poem to the month-long daily compositions that I have been posting all throughout April.
The discipline of writing something every day (well, nearly every day.  Some days I didn't, but many days I wrote and posted two) has been good for me.
There may not be daily posts anymore for a while, but I think the challenge of writing something every day may continue.  I may be more selective about what I post.  Admittedly, many of the poems this month are very rough still, some may not be things I would normally publish.  But they are what came to me each day as the month progressed.
The last poem, the one I wrote tonight, is about the TV shows that most excited me as a child.  I didn't mention titles, but anyone who is as geeky as I am would recognize Thunderbirds, Gigantor, and Star Trek.  All stuff girls weren't "supposed" to like.
Now, I was a terribly girly girl.  I had over 100 dolls, a playhouse, toy dishes, Barbies, home made Barbie clothes, frilly dresses, the whole nine yards.  I also LOVED spaceships, airplanes, and the idea of a giant robot who could fly and do all kinds of cool things.
My parents were rather schizophrenic in the way they raised me.  They kept telling me I was smart AND pretty, and expected me to go to college.  I think their real agenda was for me to find a "suitable" husband, but MY objective was to learn as much as I could.  About everything. Except maybe math.  Math and I don't get along.  Never mind that it is very necessary for those cool spaceships and robots that I love.  I like playing with words better, so here I am.

The poem about the little dog who waits at the library is one of my favorites.  I am also rather fond of my verse about trying to catch sleep.  All of the good ones seem to write themselves.

This has been a lot of fun, challenging myself to write something and get it up on the blog every single day.  I hope you have enjoyed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!