Sunday, July 12, 2015

Gravity, and Other Obstacles



Yes, gravity still works.  Entirely too well.  Just ask the skin between my right eyebrow and my right eye, and the hamstring muscle on my right leg.  Seems the shoes I wore for my exercise walk Friday night were the wrong shoes to wear.  Not enough traction on the soles.  (Strangely enough, I changed them because my "good" shoes are now completely worn out.  Heel counters have rubbed through inside, can cause blisters, soles almost worn through in spots.)

I was walking along, had slowed down a little, because I had to go out into the street to avoid a very muddy patch on the sidewalk and to get ready to cross the street, and my right heel just slipped right out from under me.  I guess I tried to soften the landing instinctively, but it happened VERY fast.  I broke the screen on my phone, too.  The scariest injury was a cut to the soft tissue between my right eyebrow and the eye.  It was where my sunglasses contacted the curb, because I couldn't stop the fall fast enough.  The right hamstring on my thigh area is VERY bruised, probably because it landed on my left foot, which was bent under me, my left knee having taken some weight, as well.  Nothing on the left side hurts, though.  The heel of my left hand and the palm have some small bruises, but nothing painful.  I think the only reason I hit my face was because I didn't have enough time for the right hand (holding my phone because NO POCKETS) to fully reach for the curb.  I instinctively tried to get to the grass by the curb to soften the landing for hands, etc. Didn't make it.  (Shoulda tossed the phone toward the grass.  It would've been fine.)


So, now, on top of a budget that is stretched tight because we have new siding on the house, I had to shell out $30 co-pay at the ER (superglued the eyebrow.)  and $99 deductible for new phone.  At least we also got the phone bill reduced while we were at the Verizon store to find out how to get a claim submitted. That'll help the budget!  Got a line on a further possible discount, as well.  Love my Verizon store peeps!

The leg is a bit less sore every day.  It, and my eye, are more colorful every day.  I have to go and ice the bruises now.  This is SO much fun. 

bruise on the right thigh.

eye after glue
Left Knee


I have also gained weight because I can't exercise, though I don't see how, since I haven't eaten a whole lot, either...

Up about 3 lbs since Thursday.  Grrrrr.
Probably water.  Trying to stay hydrated so bruising will heal more efficiently.

So, yes, gravity works, and somehow, budget obstacles get worked out," and all will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well..."

Also, I have the joy of knowing that a lot of people care about me!  Neighbors stopped to check on me before Matt came to pick me up.  (Right leg felt like it was made of foam rubber right after the fall, so I called Matt to come get me.)  All my coworkers and friends have sent well wishes, and well, I just know that I am loved and cared for,  Always a major silver lining to any mishap. 
I am indeed blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!