Saturday, July 5, 2014

Some Independence Day Observances

It's been awhile since I wrote anything.  Been having a dry spell, a bit of a numbness and sadness about me.  Don't know why.  Some relationships are a little distant, that concerns me, but I know overall, things are good.  Just haven't known what I wanted to say.
Today was the day we celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  My grandfather was caretaker of the home one of the signers who was from Georgia.  Meadow Garden, home of George Walton.  We stayed in his little house on the grounds when we visited.  The main house was creepy if you were there alone.  The downstairs kitchen was all right, but upstairs, I heard someone walking around on the floor above me when I KNEW nobody else was in the house. Could hear someone humming in the kitchen sometimes, but it was a good feeling, not creepy like the footsteps.  (I was 11 that year, I think.)  Always think of Grandpa and Meadow Garden on the 4th, the day Mr. Walton earned his place in history.  Grandpa was only at the house (belonged to a local historical society) for a few years before retiring, but it was a fascinating place. 

About a month ago, I volunteered to help out at the library's tent in the Celebration In the Heartland at Buck Thomas Park.  This is an annual event in Moore, lots of vendors, local agencies, churches, businesses, and the library, have tents or booths set up to do a little community outreach.  We usually have a couple of craft activities, a water play table for the little kids, and sign ups for Summer Reading, and temporary tattoos, and stuff like that.  This year I ran the tattoo area.  Matt helped a lot when we got busy.  There were a LOT of people there this year.  Really made us glad to see how many who came in were our regulars who recognize us from the library, and really, a lot of new faces who were very glad to hear about the library. 

After we tidied up the tent and helped load the van, Matt and I walked over to the bank of the little creek that runs through the park, and sat on the ground to wait for the fireworks.  There were frogs in the creek making noise, and fireflies darting around.  LOTS of people, but the vibe was very happy, very friendly.  I usually do NOT do well in crowds, but well, these were my neighbors, my library customers, not really strangers.  Everybody was very polite.  Amazing, really.  
The fireworks show was fabulous.  It's been YEARS since I've seen one up close.  (We used to be able to see the fireworks in the park from our driveway, but the intervening trees are too large now.)
It was a great feeling to sit there, and be as amazed as a child again by the bright lights and loud booms.  The cheers and applause of my neighbors making a heartwarming added effect, when you could hear it over the music. 

Today I felt better about a lot of things, and it was my community that helped me remember just how blessed I am.  I may not agree with the prevailing politics around here, but I will not deny that my neighbors are good people.  Their hearts are in the right places, they are trying to do what they believe is right, and even if they disagree with you, most of them will still like you.  This little city has been through an awful lot in the last 18 months. This year's celebration was much lighter of heart than last year, and there is more hope and new life and there are even new residents with us.  After all the destruction that made the news a year ago in May, it would be nice to see someone show the growth, the rebuilding, the joy that is evident in Moore today. 

It took a LONG time to get out of that parking lot and home tonight.  (Probably could have walked faster.)  Still, people were for the most part being considerate and taking turns and I didn't hear any honking.   Once we got clear of the park, things went very quickly.  We really do live about a mile or maybe a little more away.  We've been home for awhile now, and winding down. 
So grateful to all my Moore neighbors and friends, and also to my Twitter friends, for sharing this day with me, and for helping me cheer up.  You guys are the best.  Really.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!