Monday, November 19, 2007

Today's Activities

Today was Monday, so voice lesson was at 10:30. This was a real workout, because I have crud in my throat off and on these days due to allergies and shifting weather conditions. (Leaf mold is not my friend. We have a yard full of oak and pecan leaves.) She got me all set to do some recording of Christmas music tonight. Once the voice recovers from the vocal workout/torture, it actually sounds really good.
The HVAC technician came this afternoon to give the furnace its annual once over. As this furnace was installed with the new A/C unit in May, it hasn't had much wear and tear yet. He ran it through all its paces and pronounced it healthy. (I should hope so!)
Our friends have invited us to their home for Thanksgiving. It will be good to visit with them as we don't see them as often as we'd like. Susan's folks will be there, too, and I always have a good time with Elmer and Renate. Renate is the only German speaking person I know these days, so I will get a chance to practice a little. I will take her one of the German books I received the other day. It is Mark Twain. "Adam's Diary", I believe is the title. She might find it amusing.
This afternoon I had a little time to read, so I read some more of The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. It was an admirable quest, but all throughout his journey, he is discovering that compromise must be made to exist in the modern world. To literally live by the Bible might land you in prison in some cases. The book is really good so far. Thought provoking and funny, and he really doesn't pick on or make fun of any religious group. He is honestly seeking information from all the representatives of various faiths that he speaks to. His ex-uncle Gil is scary, though.
This evening, we did a few recordings for the Christmas CD we hope to send my mother. My stuff mostly, since Matt knows how to run the mixer board, and I don't yet. (He is greatly simplifying the process so all I will have to do is hit one or two things with the mouse.) I think they came out pretty good, but not with the full force my teacher likes me to do. On the Christmas recordings it isn't necessary. In a big hall, it is, but not when I am literally inches from the microphone, and I don't want to sound too boomy. I never like the way I sound on recordings, so I am no judge. Matt says it sounds good, but not like I'm really going after it like I would in the recital hall. I don't know if that will sound good in the end or not. We shall see. Mom will probably like it no matter what, because it will be us singing,which she hasn't gotten to hear much of.
I got really tired about 9:30, so I called it quits for tonight. We still have to get our duet recorded and Matt's solo pieces.
All in all, today was a busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!