Friday, November 9, 2007

Foggy Friday

It was very foggy this morning. That is not unusual here in the middle of the country, even though you most associate fog with coastal areas.
This looked like ordinary fog, but, I swear to you, it made everybody really loopy around here.
Every one of us at work was behind the power curve today, all a bit fuzzy headed. The customers did things like forget the books they meant to bring, and brought the ones they meant to renew!
We all set out to do things and promptly messed up. We always caught ourselves before major disaster happened, but it was just one of those days. It was Friday, but it acted like Monday all day! Even the computers crapped out on us a few times.
We are under another dense fog advisory again tonight. I guess tomorrow has the potential to be a Day of Fog, too.
All that brain fog aside, I do wonder why I write this stuff sometimes. The mundane ramblings of a middle aged lady are probably of no interest to anyone at all. There is a certain amount of humor to be found and shared in the world, though. I try to find it, and pass it along.
The problem with most daily humor is, you have to be there. It usually isn't funny if you aren't really familiar with the context.
One thing that was funny was the customer who asked all the personnel at the Information Desk about the computer outage, got the same, to him, unsatisfactory answer, and then tried asking a shelver. (Known in some libraries as a page.) Of course Mary Margaret didn't know when the computers would come back up any more than the librarians did. She said she was tempted to tell him "When the Computer Gods decide to stop punishing us, Sir." but she didn't, of course. She is nothing if not professional. (She is the most senior shelver in our library system, and the ONLY 30-hour salaried shelver. If she can't find it, it ain't in the building.) She told him the same thing the librarians told him, but he still didn't like it. I don't know if he stopped at our desk to ask Carol, but she'd have told him the same thing. WE DON"T KNOW!! They come back up when they're good and ready and not before. Believe me, we want them back even more than the customers do. We have ten tons of books to process, and guess what, we need the computer to do that. We'd rather not be drowning in checkins, thank you ever so much.

And now for something completely different: Christmas music.
Yes, I know Halloween is barely past, and Thanksgiving is two weeks away, but when you sing, Christmas music starts shortly after Halloween. We have to pick pieces for the Christmas recital our voice coach always has, and we have to select things to record for a CD we want to make.
There are also shortly to be actual Christmas pieces in the choir repetoire. Advent pieces are already in the folder. The first Sunday of Advent is Dec. 2, I believe.
My problem is, I have no idea what I want to sing for recital. Matt has found a duet that we can do, but for my solo piece, I am clueless. I know a couple of things I want to sing for the CD, but not much.
I am hoping my voice coach will have an inspiration for me, otherwise I may see which few John Jacob Niles pieces I haven't done, and see if I can do one of those. I don't think I've done Wonder as I Wander, or What Songs Were Sung. Sweet Little Boy Jesus is possibility also. I've done Carol of the Birds and Jesus Jesus Rest Your Head.
Whatever I choose, it has to be soon so I can learn to sing it properly and learn the words.
Well, as this is a Foggy Friday night, and I have been staring at the screen more than typing, I shall sign off, and hope to emerge from the fog soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!