Sunday, January 26, 2014

Random Ramblings

It occurred to me today as I sat at a table in the parish hall by myself, that a common childhood game has become a bit of a reality.  When I was a child, like many children, I had imaginary friends.  I could see them, communicate with them, but nobody around me could.  It came to me today, as I sat at the table with nobody nearby, that I was not alone. I had friends with me that the people in the room couldn't see.  Now, they aren't imaginary friends, they are quite real.  They weren't physically present, but I was communicating with them all the same, and nobody around me could see them, or talk to them.  They were on my smart phone.  On my Twitter feed. 
I have some pretty cool "imaginary" friends.  Some of them are even famous.  (And yes, they do converse with me once in a while.)  Best thing is that they are friends.  Fun to talk to, they tell great stories, they tell great jokes, they are there to listen and offer support when needed, too.  All of my "imaginary" friends are pretty cool, and I feel very lucky to have them in my life.  I have even met a few of them in real life, and a few are people I knew in real life before I found them on Twitter.
(More of my Facebook friends are friends in real life.)

Even though it has been a few months since my friends and I went to Dallas and met Ron Perlman at the Comic Con, it still seems surreal that it ever happened.  Still hard to believe that he recognized us, knew exactly who we were, and who was who among the three of us, even though he'd only ever "seen" us on Twitter. Still blows me away when I think about it.  Part of me is afraid it was a dream, and I am so very grateful for Kelly and Mary who were also there and can assure me it was real. 

Still wondering what the heck is going on with the weather.  Warm and sunny the last two days, and they are saying extremely cold windchills will greet us in the morning.  It's not weather, it's a freakin' meteorological yo-yo!  I wonder if ANY of my plants will survive.

Random poetry attack!! The words have shown up, and they demand to be let out NOW!!


The Winter's Return
By C.K. Armistead
Jan 26, 2014

And again it is coming
Out of the North
Cold and clawing,
Biting and chilling,
The wind of change.

Gone are the balmy airs
Sultry and Southern,
Gentle and warm,
Soothing and lulling
The calm before the storm.

Howling Down the plain
Not even bringing rain
Cold- hearted and savage
This wind comes
Bringing Winter back again.


Since I am supposed to shop tomorrow, I guess I better go fuss the budget and write the grocery list.
Ta-ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!