Sunday, July 16, 2017

Summertime, And The Livin' Is...Interesting

Summer is supposedly most people's favorite season.  Not for me.  I don't do well in the Oklahoma heat.  My energy runs out quickly, and dressing for work is a whole new challenge, as the library is kept blessedly cool, but between the car and the building is a blast furnace!

Another challenge I face this summer is that I just found out I have a rare type of glaucoma.  Here I was, minding my own business, just going to get looked at by an opthalmologist because I have been told I have detached vitreous, and I find out I have Narrow Angle Glaucoma. There is some damage from it, AND I have cataracts, so in about a week and a half, I have the first of two surgeries to remove the cataracts, and to open up the drainage a bit in my eyeballs.  Left eye first, then the right will be done at a later date.  Evidently, the pressure in my eyes was rather astounding, and I have had NO symptoms.  This type usually shows up with headaches, nausea, and very blurry vision, and rainbow halos around lights.  I have had a couple of really bad headaches in the last month or two, but none of the other symptoms.  (I had assumed a sinus blockage in one case, and too many margaritas in the other!)

Upon doing some research, I come to find out that it is something of a miracle that I haven't had a major acute attack.  All of the allergy medications I take except for plain Mucinex, can cause an acute attack in someone with Narrow Angle.  Even my Ranitidine that I take for acid stomach can cause one. Good thing I have lots of ginger ale and some Gaviscon in the house!   At least my aspirin and Tylenol are safe.  (And this week no aspirin or ibuprofen because of upcoming surgery.)  I will, of course, speak with my doctor about which medicines will be safe for me going forward, but for right now, I'm looking at major changes in habits.  I will also have to limit caffeine intake; something I was planning on doing anyway, as being able to sleep would be nice.

I find myself looking around the house at things I need to get done before surgery day, as though I won't be able to do them after.  (Well, some things I probably won't, at least for a week or two).  There is a story I want to finish writing, some more picture books to read aloud and record for my online friends, some general straightening up and cleaning up around here, too.

It's also hard not to be paranoid about my eyes now.  I've had fits off an on with feeling like the floaters NEVER get out of my way, at least now I know why.  Cataracts.  I am also having some dry eye feelings because of the Lumigan, so artificial tears are my friend. Every twinge, itch, and twitch are now suspect.  I'm driving myself nuts.  I'll just have to calm down.  It is very astounding how calm I felt when I was told all this, how I immediately agreed surgery was necessary, and given the two options, I opted for getting the cataracts and the glaucoma dealt with at the same time.  Less instances of trauma.

As I am trying not to freak out about the surgery and all the possibilities (good and bad) from that, I am also starting back to voice lessons after a long forced sabbatical due to my coach's health.  She is better now, and able to get to her piano, so we're on again.  Tomorrow morning at 10!

So, I still need to find time this week to read stories, write in my journal, and finish writing that fanfic I've been pondering over for more than a year.  Speaking of sleep, though, it's after 11pm, and I need to turn in.  Further reports as events (and inspirations) warrant!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!