Sunday, July 30, 2017

Ruminations On Recovery

So, the surgery I was apprehensive about turned out to be nowhere near as stressful as I feared.  I think my main worry was that I had never had sedation of any kind before. (Well, other than the self-inflicted alcoholic variety, and that only mildly...)
The cataract/ glaucoma surgery went very quickly and very well.  Right now I am in the uncomfortable place that the distance correction in my glasses is too much, but I need the middle distance and the reading correction.  Driving is not as bad as I feared.  I can once again see both the street and the dashboard without the dashboard being too blurry to read.  Maybe once the right eye is done, this will settle in a little more, but then there is the four- to six- week wait for the eyes to stabilize so we can get new glasses without it being a waste of time and money.
Right now, I am typing this with no glasses at all.  I can see the screen pretty clearly.  I do still have floaters, I probably always will, both because of age and because I have detached vitreous, which means my floaters may be more noticeable to me.  My real hope is that the cataract surgery and the cleaning out of the scar tissue near my irises will mean that the glaucoma danger has pretty much passed.  I may still need the drops just in case, but I kinda figured I'd end up with that since my Mom had glaucoma, and so does my sister.  It DOES run in families.  Just that I got to have the rare and unusual kind.  (Then again, I am pretty rare and unusual, so...)

Recuperating is difficult.  I can't do my my usual exercise, and I get bored, so I eat entirely too much, and the wrong things.  I have gained five pounds this week, but most of it will vanish the day I start walking in earnest again.  Hey, maybe now I won't have to worry about falling so much, because maybe I'll be better able to see where my feet are going!

The well wishes of all my many friends, church family, library family, and especially my #Perlsistas has meant a lot to me in this process.  I know you guys care, and I know you are thinking of me and praying for me, and I really appreciate it, and it has made a HUGE difference in  my ability to keep the freakouts at bay and behave like an actual grown-up.

Now that I am near the end of this first bout of recuperation, I have a few things I have put off to get done, like making library staff birthday cards for August, and reading some stories for my YouTube story fans.  I may find out on Wednesday when my right eye will be done.  Much will depend on the progress the left eye has made, and how the doctor feels about going forward.  (Also, I am hoping TriCare responds quickly this time, now that they should know that the surgery is necessary not only to prevent the cataract from getting worse, but to greatly alleviate the glaucoma situation by freeing up space in the forward part of my eyeball.  ( Replacement lens is nowhere near as thick as the natural one, more space in the chamber = less chance of the drainage being clogged up again, less chance of dangerous pressure spike.)

So that's where I am this week.  More as things develop.  Thanks again for all the good thoughts and prayers.  They DO make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!