Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fall Thoughts

Autumn Evening Walk
By C.K. Armistead
Nov. 10, 2013

As I walked the leaf-strewn sidewalk
Through the golden light
Of a late afternoon
I heard the leaves crunch
Under my feet
Heard dogs barking
Children playing
Cars on 12th Street
The train idling on the siding
Nearby.
I smelled the charbroiler
At Burger King
Not as nice as someone's
Backyard cookout would be
I also smelled woodsmoke
From a fireplace
On this cool late afternoon
In Fall.
I saw the changing leaves
Some falling from the trees
As I watched
Others stubbornly holding on
I saw the light doing its usual
Autumn trick
Of fading too quickly away
Causing the streetlights to glow
All too soon
And calling an end
To outdoor play
As children reluctantly
Head indoors
For supper, homework,
or just TV or reading
Like we used to
When I was a kid.
Some things
Like the fast-disappearing light
of Autumn,
Never change.



Slowly, subtly, the weather has changed.  The light is different now, seeming to come from farther away.  The air is cooler, even when the sun is bright and warm.  As our planet shifts on its axis, on its way around the sun, we are pushed away from the light and warmth of summer, toward the cold and dark of winter.  Autumn, like Spring, a season of in-between, of shifting and changing and getting used to the idea of the season to come. 
Today I walked through golden light, with a light breeze, cool, but not cold, not yet.  Soon, the wind with have sharp teeth to it, a hard, cold, edginess.  There will be more scent of woodsmoke on the air as people seek to beat back the dark and cold with light and warmth.  Darker colors, heavier fabrics, sweaters and boots will be seen on the people out and about.  Cozy throws, hot tea and good books will be more in demand as the cold, dark, inhospitable season gains in strength and keeps people indoors, where they can feel less at the mercy of the cold.
I enjoy the cozy seasons of fall and winter, because I like (and look good in) dark rich jewel tones.  I like sweaters, and shawls and boots and curling up with a cup of something warm and a good book.  I also get tired of them long before Winter is done.  By the time Spring starts poking its head up through the last of the slushy snow, I am more than ready to greet it, to shed the heavy dark clothes for light brightness, and to walk freely outdoors again.  Spring also makes me wary, though.  Spring is when the bad tornadoes show up.
I only pray that this season and the one that follows do not bring bad storms, no ice and no heavy snow.  We have had enough of weather for one year.  We could use some peace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!