Friday, January 11, 2013

Bits and Pieces

Today's blog is composed of forgotten bits of poetry from one of my many journals.

From Nov. 2005

The subtle process of poetry
Is lately rather lost to me
I scratch a few pathetic lines
Wishing for more inspired rhymes.

Always interrupted by dog or cat
Or by laundry, or supper, or such as that.
My work has dwindled down to naught
Or exists merely in the realm of thought.

From March, 2008

The quiet world
Is so rudely awakened
By the screech of my
Voice waking up and stretching.

Soon, if God is merciful, my throat
will clear,
The notes will come forth in their liquid brilliance
(As I promise you, they have done.)

Just now, though, unwelcome bits of allergy or sleep are
Making the notes squawk like an oboe
With a bad reed.
But when it works, oh, what joy,
What release.
The music flows out, warm and sweet and smooth,
Taking me soaring oh, so high.


Autumn Thoughts From a Few Years Back

Autumn has finally come - the trees are turning at last.
The days are bright but cool, the nights are actually cold.
Halloween is coming.  The night of ghosts and frights.
We may be plagued with little goblins, but maybe not.  Hard to say.

So many pictures lately of stylish, sleek, modern houses.
They look so cold and unfriendly to me.
I like cozy places.
Places with overstuffed furniture and lots of books ,
Lots of pillows and blankets
And a well-provisioned kitchen with a teakettle on the stove, and teacups and bowls and things handy.
Furnishings with history, things with love and memory attached;
Things that give a house a SOUL, make it a HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!