Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Aging Brain

Yes, we all have those days, no matter what age we are.  You oversleep because you forgot to set the alarm.  You lose your keys,  you leave the coffee cup on top of the car and drive off.  We can only hope those things don't all happen on the same day. 
Just recently, I myself have done things like put something in the wrong place at work, forget that I had a morning shift instead of the usual afternoon one, and just this evening, I forgot that it was men only night at church choir rehearsal.  No harm done by any of those.  The misplaced item was easily found, I made up the missed hour at work, and an alto in the choir also forgot, so she gave me a ride home so I didn't have to wait until my husband was done with rehearsal. 

The reason we blame these things we do on our age is that well, lots of things are harder than they used to be.  Things hurt that didn't used to, it takes longer to do some things than it used to, in my case, my eyes don't work as well as they used to, and my allergies are worse.  I also have my own private tropical heat wave that follows me around and manifests itself suddenly and usually at very inconvenient times.  (Like when I am sound asleep.)  That is one reason many women my age DO have memory lapses.   Our sleep is disturbed on a regular basis.  This can interfere with a lot of things, especially memory and mental focus. 

Often these days I think my lack of focus is as much due to the fact that I am doing more things now than I have in recent years.  I have additional commitments beyond just work and church.  Matt and I sing in another chorus besides just the church choir now, and I have challenged myself to get certain things done (like writing) that I have neglected in the past.  After "coasting"" for awhile, my brain is not so good at keeping all the little details in order any more.  Guess it's time to start putting stuff on the cell phone calendar again.  At least it will remind me of things.  (Now I just have to remember to put the stuff ON it.  ) 
Here's hoping I get enough sleep tonight to have a functional brain in the morning!

This was a couple of years ago.  Except for the glasses, everything is pretty much the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!