Saturday, April 11, 2015

Trying To Get My Act Together and Taking It On the Road

I am about to embark on a brand new adventure.  I've never been to an out-of-state library conference before.  Next week, I'll be in Austin, TX for the Texas Library Association's annual conference.  (Yeah, I know, I'm not a Texan or an actual librarian, but I DO work in a library, and Oklahoma is right next door, so we have some of the same challenges as Texas does.)

There will be many new ideas to bring home about how to do some of the things we do every day, there will also be lots of vendors showing lots of neat things for libraries.
I am looking forward to the chance to talk to other library people, and to see new things.
I am also looking forward to seeing my friend Jana again.  She isn't a library person, but she is my friend, and she lives in Austin.  So, BONUS!

Trying to figure out how many outfits and what sort of clothes to take has been a challenge.  I know it will likely be warm, but we will be in an air conditioned building, and sitting a lot of the time.  Therefore, I have packed several of the Librarian's Best Friend:  The Cardigan.  I have sleeveless tops and tanks and work appropriate slacks that I can wear, and the cardigans are the perfect topper.  I am also taking a couple of pair of jeans.

I've mentioned before that I do not travel well.  I have the classic problem of trying to come up with a suitably portable version of "my stuff".  (See George Carlin on YouTube.)

Here's a link to it.

I will try to remember to take photos and post them.  I will be with two colleagues from the branch I work in, and I'll be rooming with a colleague from our South Oklahoma City branch.  She trained with us at Moore, so she knew what she was getting into when she agreed to put up with me as a roomie!  (Hi Suzanne! ;-) )

Getting a little bit nervous, but I am sure everything will work out.  After all, I'm  going to be in the midst of some of the most helpful people in the universe: Librarians!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!