Saturday, December 13, 2014

It's Already Time For The THIRD Advent Candle To Be Lit!


This week we light the pink candle, the third candle.  Pink, or more properly rose, because this is the week we rejoice and celebrate with joy the coming of the savior.

The liturgy will be a little different, we will of course light the different colored candle, we will be almost ready to move to full-tilt celebration mode that comes on Christmas Eve. (Next Sunday is still a time of solemn preparation, though.) 
This reminds me that though the Christmas tree is up and decorated, I still have LOTS to do before Christmas Eve arrives.  There is still the small matter of unfinished and unsent Christmas cards, cookies to be made.  (Only a few, we can't eat too many, and most of our friends are in similar circumstances!) 

The tree went up today, as any of my Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram friends know.  I shared a lot of pictures.  Meeting all  my ornaments again is always fun and full of memories.  I also think I felt my Pop hanging around telling me where the bare spots were.  We decorated many Christmas trees together over the years.  I always miss him at Christmas.  He was my Pop, I was his Baby Girl, and he spoiled me.  At Christmas he seemed to approve of my singing because I did it at church.  He always discouraged the serious pursuit of music or writing, the two things I enjoyed most, because they weren't practical. ( I sometimes wondered if it was because he thought I wasn't very good.) 
He loved Christmas more than any other adult I've ever met except for my Uncle Dick, his older brother.  They both got almost childlike at Christmas time.  It was good to see them share happy memories, because they had so many that weren't so happy.  Pop was a teen  during the Depression.  Even his relatively well-off Grandfather, who was a physician, was for the most part paid in farm produce by his patients during those years.  At least they had enough food...

On another subject, I have found new music to listen to, not Holiday music, but many renditions of Burns' songs, which I love.  The artist is Dougie MacLean. I found him because my friend Gillian mentioned him to me on Facebook.  Gorgeous stuff.  Relaxing.  Here's a link to Ae Fond Kiss  It's my favorite of Burns' songs.  This is a lovely rendition.  Thanks, Gill! ;-)

My sister has taken to buying me the "Beauty of Birds" ornaments that I collect each year.  She is carrying on the fine tradition all of them started when I was little.  She spoils me.  Still.  Even though we are both grown-ups now.  Now, I have several more special memories of trips to Mom's to help Susie with the yard work that I bring out and polish as I hang the ornaments on the tree.

This year's Beauty of Birds Ornament   
Time now for me to try to get some rest so I can do all that needs to be done in preparation for Christmas.  This week is the week to remember that amid all the rush and bustle, we are supposed to be happy, to live with joy, because the Gift of Love is being born into the world!  May that Love be in our hearts, may it shine in our smiles, and show in our actions all year long. 
As Bing sang "It's not the things you do at Christmas time, but the Christmas things you do the whole year through."

This year's tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!