Sunday, July 13, 2014

Adventures in Bread Baking - Oatmeal Sourdough In My Current Favorite Variations



This is a recipe I have used over and over again, and I have many variations on it.  Today I will interrupt the written recipe below with photos and with my current favorite variations.



Oatmeal Sourdough

You can make this oatmeal sourdough bread in many ways.  Slice diagonally for great oven toast.(If you make the traditional tapered loaves.  Slice as usual for bread if you use the loaf pans as shown here.)

The night, or day before baking, to make a sponge, in a large bowl combine:
 
This is how the sponge looks in the morning.
1 cup sourdough starter
2 cups warm water
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
3 cups unbleached all- purpose flour (I have also used whole wheat pastry flour.)

Stir well.  Cover and let ferment overnight, or as long as 24 hours.  When ready to bake, to soften yeast, in another large bowl combine:
½ cup warm water
1 scant tablespoon (or 1 packet) active dry yeast.


(I also add the recommended amount per loaf of vital wheat gluten when using the pastry flour.)

Stir into softened yeast mixture, in this order
¼ cup brown sugar

¼ cup soft butter

1 tablespoon salt

fermented sourdough sponge

2 cups all-purpose flour


Beat well.  To make a soft dough, gradually add:
1 to 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour.

Turn out on a floured surface and knead until smooth.  Place in a greased bowl, turning dough once to grease the top. 


  Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, 45 to 60 minutes.  
Risen dough.

 Knead dough down in bowl.  Divide dough into three parts.  Pat or roll each part into an 8-inch square.
If adding a filling, spread them to within 1" of edges of square of dough.

  Starting at one corner of square, roll to a tapered loaf.  Place on greased baking sheets, seam side down.

I also use  small loaf pans, miniature size, with 1/6 of the batch of dough in each.  81/2 x 4 1/2 x 2" pans may also be used if dividing dough into thirds as usual.  
 Cover and let rise until almost doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.  Before baking, brush tops of loaves with melted butter, sprinkle with rolled oats, if desired.
Risen loaves.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes. *If you are using the mini loaf pans as I have here, check the loaves after about 20 min.  Should be brown and sound hollow when bottom is tapped.*  Cool on wire racks.  Makes 3 loaves.


Today's loaves set to rise.  Far loaves are really in too big of a pan size, but I was out of small pans.
 These loaves are: Bittersweet chocolate mint (at top)  Filled with a paste made of the leaves from 5 good sized (6" long" sprigs of chocolate mint fresh from the garden and about 1/3 cup of bittersweet chips, 2 Tbsp. butter, 1 Tbsp milk, and 2 Tbsp of walnuts processed in small food processor until a paste.

Parmesan and Pepperoni (Middle)  These are the loaves in the photos above, filled with about 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup mini pepperoni pieces.

Provence Herb loaves (bottom) these are filled with my herb paste made of parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme and a tiny bit of lavender, butter, a bit of olive oil, and a tablespoon or so of walnuts processes until almost smooth in food processor. I salt the tops of the Provence Herb loaves because I didn't put any salt in the herb paste. I always try to decorate filled loaves in a way that shows what's inside.  Sometimes these decorations come off during baking.  

And here are the finished loaves.  As you can see, some of the pepperoni and the mint leaves have come off.  Can't wait until I get done with the yard work and get the laundry started.  I am looking forward to trying the Chocolate mint bread with some ice cold Moscato.  

We took some of this same type of bread with us yesterday when we visited our friends at Canadian River Vineyards and Winery.  We enjoyed sharing it with them while we sampled some of their wines.  We replenished our wine cabinet, and included in that was two bottles of their lovely sweet,but not cloying, Moscato.  I am using that as the carrot to get myself out into the hot yard to get the mowing done.  Also have to sort laundry.  Chores are not fun, but I am so glad to have the yard that requires mowing and the means to mow it.  I am also grateful for the clothing that needs washing, and the very nice washer and dryer to wash and dry them with.  After last Spring, I appreciate this house and all my stuff a lot more.  Still have too much stuff, but glad it is still here, and not scattered between here and Del City.
I will add a picture later of the sliced bread, and my wineglass, possibly.

Here we go!  Canadian River Moscato with my chocolate mint swirl bread.  Mmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!