Wednesday, April 2, 2014

For A Good Mood, Listen To This Band

I got to attend a concert on Saturday night.  It was SO good.  A group I really enjoy, and a great venue.  Who knew our local Civic Center Music Hall in OKC was such a great place?  I just don't get out enough...
Anyway, we got to see Pink Martini in concert.  This is a joyful experience that everyone should have!  PLEASE, if you find out they are going to be playing anywhere near you, GO SEE THEM!!  The show they put on is SO much fun.  They are obviously having a great time making music, and they want to share this with you.  Let them.
In the mean time, I strongly recommend purchasing their albums.  The music is varied, it is lush, it is gorgeous.  This is a  group of very talented musicians.  I cannot believe that we had never heard about them before last year.  A Twitter friend shared a link to their YouTube page, and that was all it took, I was HOOKED!!  Matt has also become hooked on them.  I've gotten some of my coworkers started listening to them.  I put my Amazon Cloud Player on at work on Thursdays when I am there, and Pink Martini is a big part of my mix.  My mix is VERY eclectic, and even the younger ones working there find my mix amusing.  They all seem to wander around humming something from Pink Martini, though.
My concert book and the Hey Eugene cd that the group signed for us.

The Von Trapps were with them when we saw them, as they are featured on the most recent release, Dream A Little Dream.  The four Von Trapps sing so very well together.  Harmonies are gorgeous.  The original songs they presented were VERY good, and they blended well with the rest of the band on old favorites, too.
Thomas Lauderdale  is the one who started the band, and his talent is so very evident, also his appreciation of and ability to use the talents of others.  To watch him play piano is entertaining all by itself.
China Forbes is the lead singer with this group.  She has an amazing voice, and an uncanny ability to sing in almost any language, and do it well.

I had such a good time at the concert, and I always have a good time with their music playing. 



  




These are the  albums I own.  I love them all, I don't really have a favorite.  I can highly recommend any of them to get you started.  '78 is China Forbes' solo album, and it is also excellent.  (Pictured above also.)

I think Pink Martini's music has helped me hear more in other things I listen to.  I have found sight-reading and learning new arias or choral pieces to be easier since I started listening to this group.

The things I have been working on for church and for my voice coach not easy pieces, but they are clicking in my brain a bit easier than they were.

That's about all my tired brain can come up with this evening, but I do want to stress how much I enjoy Pink Martini's music, and I do hope if you haven't listened before, you will find their YouTube channel and listen, and maybe go to Amazon, or even Pink Martini's own website and buy some albums.  You won't be sorry.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!