Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Anybody Seen A Guy Building A Big Boat?

We talk about the weather a lot in Oklahoma.  Only natural, the weather here can be deadly.  In more ways than one.  Giant monsters of storms can come out of nowhere and eat your whole town, sheets of ice can fall and make travel dangerous, heatwaves can come that will make you wish you were dead, and, on occasion, we get steady, unrelenting rain in the middle of freakin' July.
So, this blog post is also about the weather.  Mostly.
Today, it was so rainy, that my walks both took place in the rain.  I tried wearing the Wellies, but my ankles were too restricted by the boots, so trudged home and put the non-slip sneakers that were still wet from the morning walk back on for the evening walk.  Didn't get as soaked on the evening trip.  Still, had to hang my light jacket up to dry.  At least I didn't have to put it, my capris and my socks in the dryer like I did after this morning's walk.
On these walks, I had the soundtrack for Pacific Rim to keep me company.  Excellent music for walking.  The music was running through my head so much, I just bought the soundtrack to help get the little theme out of there.  Seems to help. Also fit the atmosphere of the day today.  I mean, in Pacific Rim, it seems to be cloudy and raining a LOT.  So it fit my very damp walks very well.

Everything here had gotten dry again, and my herbs and flowers were suffering.  We needed the rain.  Of course, I had just watered the yard around the foundations of the house the day before all the rain started.  I guess I had to guarantee our rainfall, but boy, that gets hard on the water bill.

Today had some positive notes as well.  I got to use the new digital audio recorder to record my voice lesson, and it worked just fine.  No more cassette tapes for me.  We will also be able to connect Karen's microphones to the recorder and make good quality recordings of some of my songs. 

Now it is Tuesday, and I have more to write.

Today, we actually see the sun!  Amazing!  My walk was reasonably dry.  As the sun came out, this came up on my Pandora mix.  So very appropriate, and uplifting after all the dreary wet weather.  In the middle of JULY, for God's sake!

Got all my errands run this morning, so we once again have fruit and other low fat things to nibble on in the house.  Also, filled up my car with gas, and found out I got over 26 mpg this last month.  For me, driving a compact station wagon all around town with no highway miles, that's pretty good.  It'll go down again because of the air conditioner use soon.  I was only down to about 1/4 tank.  I cannot let it get below a quarter tank.  Saw too many commercials on AFN while in Germany about preparedness and safety. Thank God we never had to do a non-combatant emergency evacuation, but we had to have all our ducks in a row just in case.  To this day, I get nervous if I have less than half a tank of gas.

About time to head for work.  Tuesdays are my Mondays as far as work goes.  Here's hoping we aren't too slammed with check ins.  It IS summertime at your library!  Glad to know the people love us and come see us so often.  The library is one of the busiest places in town!  (Though the cynics among us say it's because of unlimited dvd checkouts and free internet.  Though PLENTY of books circulate as well.)

Glad to report that it appears we won't be needing the Ark after all.  Hope all of you have a fabulous Tuesday!
As Ever,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!