Saturday, June 8, 2013

One of Life's Greatest Pleasures

...Is the laughter of friends.  How good it was to hear my friends laughing together this evening.  Four of our good friends were with us for dinner this evening, after they had spent the afternoon helping Matt clean out our garage so the drywall can be replaced.  Matt smoked a bunch of ribs, and a beef top blade roast.  He also made baked beans and cole slaw.  All these dishes were diabetic and hypertensive friendly.  Nancy brought angel food cake and sliced strawberries, and I had made some brown sugar shortbread last night. 
This was an evening much needed by all of us.  It is good to put the recent troubles with the weather and its aftereffects aside and just enjoy each other's company.  Mike and Nancy got a glimpse of why I think my job is so much fun.  They finally got to hear Julie tell her stories.  Julie cracks me up.  She always has.  I can't believe it has been more than 14 years now that we have worked together.  Seems like only yesterday that I started at the library, and Julie was the one doing most of my training. 
Julie and Ralph got a chance to know Mike and Nancy and the joy they bring with them everywhere they go.  Those two have a very healing presence.  It just feels good to spend time with them.  We all have old in jokes between us, and sharing the stories behind them is great fun. 
It was good to see Ralph smile and to hear Julie laugh.  I know they still have a lot to get through, but I think they'll come out just fine.  Matt and I will help all we can.  Mike and Nancy will, too.  Mike and Nancy know all about loss and grieving, whether it's the loss of a home or of a loved one, it hurts.  In some ways, the material loss is harder, because it doesn't feel right to grieve it when so many actually did lose loved ones. 
I am humbled and honored to have such people call me their friend.  They all mean a great deal to me, and Mike and Nancy have been through a LOT with Matt and I.  Julie has been through a lot at the library with me.  So good to have such loving, knowledgeable, and funny companions on this journey. 

The thunder is rumbling outside again tonight.  I hope it doesn't trouble Ralph and Julie too much.  This whole area is weary of storms.  Even when they aren't severe.  There is so much work to do that the rain makes more difficult.  The sunny skies earlier today were a great boon to everyone's spirits. 

I am very grateful for all the good things in my life, but most especially for the friends that make this life so much more pleasant.
As Ever,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!