Friday, May 25, 2018

Of Aging, Innui, And Daydreams

I wish I knew why gloomy weather suddenly seems to sap my energy.  I used to love rainy days, perhaps because in Southern California they were so rare.  Now, I see them as another impediment to things I need or want to do.  Ground is going to be too wet to mow tomorrow, and the yard really needs mowing.  Walking outdoors is so much more restorative than using the elliptical trainer, but wet pavement is not something I feel like slipping and sliding on at my age.

This brings up another topic.  Age.  I do not feel in my soul that I am an old lady, but the image in the mirror begs to differ.  My body also gets in on the conversation with knees and hips and lower back all telling me the weather was changing last night.  The knobby knuckles from arthritis aren't painful, but they make simple tasks less simple.  Buttons, hooks, zippers, handling small objects, all are more difficult than they used to be.  I really despise the faucets in the bathtub.  The are fluted knobs, and I cannot be certain I've turned them all the way off, ever.  They hurt my hands.  We have levers to replace them with, but that is one of those jobs that has never gotten done. 
The lack of energy or enthusiasm for doing that sort of job is a function of aging and having a less cooperative body, too.  Matt has far more flexibility and dexterity issues than I do, and I lack the knowledge he possesses.  If there were room to work in there together, perhaps we could do it ourselves, but we are loath to try, possibly fearing irreparable damage to both the plumbing and our marriage. 

I should have been up with plenty of energy to do my workouts this morning, but instead, I have been a slug, lingering over coffee, finally finishing reading a library book I need to return, avoiding any chores but simple domestic things like the dishes, starting dinner in the crock pot, and starting a load of towels in the laundry.  I blame the weather, and the fact that because of my arthritis and that changing weather, getting to sleep last night was no picnic, and one can only take so much ibuprofen and drink so much gin before the dangers outweigh the possible benefits.

There are numerous photos on my phone from our trip.  I keep meaning to download and organize those in order to post them here, but again, attention span not long enough.  I have three books going at any one time, and I have been working on reading the same three for the last several months.  Just can't stick with one long enough to get through it.  Also, have to keep backtracking to make sure I know what I'm looking at, so slow going all around.  They are all topics I am interested in, I just can't seem to hang in there and finish at least one of the books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!