Saturday, February 25, 2017

Birthday Reflections

Another birthday, another year of life to celebrate.

It has been quite a journey since this time last year.  Last year was my first birthday without my Mom.  (Or Mommy-Mo, as I called her when I was little, for some reason.)
There have been many losses and disappointments this year, but my friends have NEVER let me down. 
Through sad times and happy times, stressful times, and laid-back times, my friends have always been there, to listen, to hug, to cheer me up, in essence, to be my friends.
My husband has also been there, even when I am not pleasant to live with, he has stood by me, and loved me anyway.  He's one special guy.  He'll always be my knight in smelly flight suit, my hero, someone who has FAR more patience with himself and me than I will ever possess.

This birthday has been resoundingly joyful.  My friends have showered me with love and good wishes, and some with gifts, and I am grateful for them ALL.  That my friends think enough of me to recognize my birthday, it means a lot.  I have gotten cards from family, too, and that is always special, especially when my brothers joke around with me.  They are special guys.  So intelligent, and so funny.  My sister is almost a second mom to me.  She's always seemed to feel responsible for me, and I think she's been overjoyed to realize that I can be responsible for myself now.  (Well, with Matt's help, and he is a big help.) She's always been there,  my big sister, to make me laugh, to take me fun places when I was a kid, to make life more fun.  Now that all of us have cell phones and unlimited text plans, I hear from my esteemed siblings more often.  It's a good thing.  All we got left is each other, as far as our original family goes.  We all have spouses, they have kids, my sister has grandkids, which she very kindly shares with me.  (It's a lot of fun  to be silly old Auntie Katie!)
I also have "library kids", "church kids", and "Perlgirl kids".  These are all special to me, also. 

My community and my coworkers, our library customers, the Friends volunteers, my St. Paul's family, everyone in my daily life, I feel blessed to know.  I am very grateful for a job that lets me serve this community. I may not always agree with the politics of my adopted state, but the people are really good at heart. Even the ones who violently disagree with your politics or religion will be right there helping out when you need them.  They may succumb to the rhetoric of the hateful politicians at times, but their actions usually spring from love.  They will help if you need help, and not care about anything else right then.  Makes me wish they'd see how their political rhetoric hurts some of their neighbors, but well, those habits are hard to break, I know. I pray for them.  And for myself.  And for those out in the world that are just plain hateful all the time.  They need our prayers most.

My family at St. Paul's have been a source of solace and strength for years. A week without being in church just feels so WRONG, because I don't get to spend time with all of you. Singing with that choir is one of the greatest joys in my life.  You all are phenomenal.  Scott Raab, your talent and your musical knowledge, and the love you have for all of us and the cathedral are special treasures in this life.  The clergy at St. Paul's have always been special to us; Canon Susan, and Father Tim Sean especially in recent years, but Dean Justin, and Deacon Marilyn have been important in our lives, also.

My Twitter friends are also very dear to me.  Ron Perlman, Michael Ornstein, my fellow #PerlGirls, Fantastic Negrito, Ben Watkins, Tommy Day Carey, Shaun Cunningham, Doug Jones, and so many others who interact with me on a regular basis, but Ron and my Perlsistas especially, have pulled me through some tough times.  I love you guys, I really, really do.  You make me laugh, you help me keep a song in my heart, you remind me that love is still out there, no matter what.

Mike and Nancy Rogers are special treasures.  Two better friends you will never find.  You two are so very dear to both of us, you will never know.  Thank you for coming to share my birthday with me, for your friendship and your good fellowship.  You are very, very loved.

So, as I look back on this birthday just ended, I look back with great joy and gratitude.  You all have made my whole life beautiful and filled with joy.  I am SO grateful to know each and every one of you. 
Thanks again to Ron Perlman, Linda O'Leary, Jana Lynn Waller, Paulette Horn, Fiona Dotter, Mallory McCreary, Anne Dallesandro, Mary Stolfa, Kelly C Reeves, Sabrina Quintofiore, Marie Therese Hansen, Patti Helps, Christina Boulard, Ben Watkins, Tommy Day Carey, Shaun Cunningham, Doug Jones, Xavier , Michael M. Ornstein.  You are all VERY dear to me.  Kisses and hugs.

Oh, and Ron, I had two margaritas, a steak dinner, and a big piece of chocolate cheesecake.  See, I followed your suggestions.  Love you bunches!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!