Monday, November 24, 2014

Yes, I Am Still Alive...

I'm just busy! 
Found some free book cataloging software that syncs with Goodreads, so I am scanning and cataloging the home library.  Also need to weed a few entries out of the database, because some of the stuff Goodreads got from Amazon is way out of date. Lot of that stuff is not in the collection anymore. Yep.  I'm such a geek that I like to do library stuff with my OWN BOOKS.  (Not enough that I keep track of hundreds of items daily at work by checking them in or out, sorting them, reshelving some of them.  Nope.  Gotta organize the chaos at home, too.  )

Something I discovered in my in-depth travels through the bookshelves, piles, and double-stacks here is that I do have at least a rudimentary organizational scheme in place.  All the writing and writing reference books are near each other, history and travel and anthropological books are near each other, poetry, grammar, and foreign language aids are also pretty much together. 

The Goodreads app drew in most of my digital collection as well.  I don't know if it sees all the things on my Nook, but it has the Amazon titles, including ebooks, that I have.  Some of the titles on Good reads are things I have on the Nook that I have put on Goodreads manually.  This project is going to involved a lot of dealing with getting databases to play nice together.

Even though it seems like it should be work, this process has allowed me to renew my acquaintance with some old friends, like my Longfellow anthology, the Burns anthology, and the Oxford Book of English Verse, (1250-1918) .  Some of these old friends were finds from the old used book store my sister used to take me to haunt in Santa Monica when I was a teen, and she and my brother in law were living just off of Wilshire in Santa Monica.

I am not even half way through my office, let alone the living room shelves and the cookbooks, and I already have 402 books cataloged. (Admittedly, some of them are artifacts from Goodreads that need to be deleted, but still, that's a LOT of books!)

Is it any wonder I work in a library?  Books are part of my natural habitat! More adventures in cataloging the home collection will be posted as I progress.  I dread the credenza.  It is double stacked, and the drawers are full of books, too.  Sigh.  I shall have to weed as I go, judiciously, of course!

 Still trying to figure out if my whole Nook library can be synced.  Somehow I doubt it.  Will have to enter those manually through Goodreads, most likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!