Sunday, May 25, 2014

Spontaneous Day

Wind picks up
Birds hush.
Squirrel scurries off.
Sky gets really dark.
Distant rumbles get closer.
Now lightning appears!
Rain pummels the thirsty earth.
Then, almost as suddenly,
The wind dies off,
The birds recommence their scoldings,
The squirrel resumes his nut hunting,
The light returns,
Thunder trundles off,
And the lightning goes, too.
The rain gentles and stops.
Spring thundershower
In Oklahoma.


As I raced to get both yards mowed before the little thundershower today, I upset our resident Mallards from their afternoon snack.  They waddled away from me running their mouths the whole time.  I have now been cussed out in duck, to complete the experience of being cussed out in cat, squirrel, and in Schipperke.  (Our Dougal always muttered under his breath at me.  Sweet Mr. Bear never would, he was such a good dog.)  Strangely enough, the duck my mom had when she was teaching preschool never muttered at me.  Waddles knew I wasn't the one who picked out her name.  (The preschoolers did.) ('Course I probably would've named her Jemima, Potter fan that I am.  Beatrix Potter, that is, children, not Harry Potter, thought I adore those books, too.)

This day began feeling like yet another lazy day that I would struggle to get things done in, but it has turned out that I have accomplished most of what I had laid out for myself to do.  There are but a few things that I must work on before Tuesday, instead of most of them, which is what I feared would be the case. 

Time now to head for bed, try to sleep, and get up tomorrow and go sing at Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!