Tuesday, April 30, 2013

An Adventure I Could Live Without

Or maybe I'll live better because of it...


Here I sit in a hospital room with my husband, waiting to see what the doctor has to say.  Not a fun way to spend a Monday.  Dear Husband evidently has high blood sugar in addition to a slight atrial flutter in his heart.  Lord only knows what else they will find while they're at it.

Guess both of us are in for a change in diet, and he's going to have to start exercising again at some point. Personally, I think if he can just lose the weight that he needs to lose, a lot of his other problems will go away, or at least improve greatly.  I have been struggling with trying to eat better and exercise more for the sake of maintaining my own health.

I am now home from the second day of sitting in a hospital room with my somewhat bored and resigned husband.  He has accepted that the lifestyle changes we've been saying we OUGHT to make, are now MANDATORY.  He is looking at this as a challenge to his considerable culinary skills. He is going to set out to develop diabetic and heart health friendly versions of some of our favorite foods.  He is also going to be exploring new foods and new ways to prepare foods that will let us eat well within the restrictions he faces.  (He has also demanded that I go and get all my numbers checked again, since it has been awhile.)

I know that I eat too many sweets, I also know that I could stand to lose about 20 pounds, but 35 would be even better.  (That would put me back where I was in my 20s.)  The real challenge for him is going to be exercise that he can safely do.  Me, I walk about a mile and 3/4 every day.  I also do free weights from time to time, and yoga once in a while.  Guess I'll have to step it up. 

Guess I should re-set my goals in my Lose It! app, and get busy.  Already started today eating better and logging my food and exercise again.  I have already lost four pounds from the last time I logged my weight. 

At least this hospital we are dealing with is close to home, and is full of nice staff.  Most of them are also very helpful and will answer what questions they can.  We have a friend who works in another part of the hospital, which is nice, because we get to see her if she has a chance to stop up and say hi.  Her daughter also works for the hospital, and she was up to see us also.  One of the priests from the church stopped in today as well.  Canon Susan was a stalwart support during our previous bout with a hospital when Matt had to have surgery on his spinal column.  I realize now we've known her for about 18 years, ever since we got more involved at St. Paul's.  Our church family was very supportive during that time, and I am sure they will be this time also. The fact that we will be developing healthier recipes will mean everyone at the cathedral will get healthier "After the 11" snacks when it's our turn from now on.  Probably a very good thing.

Well, this is enough disjointed and tired ramblings from me.  Time to crash and get up tomorrow and do it all again. 

1 comment:

  1. Hope Matt feel better soon. Prayers for both of you

    Mary C

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!