Friday, March 15, 2013

The 21st Century Addiction





These days we have so many demands on our attention.  There are so many different types of news, entertainment, and activities vying for our time.  Many of us experience extreme anxiety if we have to be without our small electronic connections to the wider world for more than an hour or two. 
Many words have been written about this addiction of 21st century Americans, and many have advocated "unplugged" days, or even weeks.  It is startling to think that as little as two years ago, I would not have thought anything of going for days without even looking at my cell phone.  (I didn't get a smart phone until about 2 years ago.)  I used my computer daily, and I had a Nook Color e-reader that I used extensively.  (But mostly OFF-line, as a reader.) 

Today, I have the three electronic devices you see in the picture.  A Nook HD+ e-reader, my Android phone, and this absolutely unbelievably fast computer that I fear may be smarter than I am. I can easily spend HOURS involved with any of these devices.  Some days, I spend hours looking for and re-reading fan fiction stories, checking my email, checking social media to see if anyone has anything to say, and just generally wasting time.  Occasionally, I sit down here and actually write, or I actually write something in one of my notebooks that I can tweak and maybe use later.  I do also use my e-reader to read books.  I have several I am currently reading.  Just finished December's Thorn by Philip DePoy.  That series of mysteries featuring Fever Devlin are very interesting reads.  The character is a folklorist, and the stories all have their familiar elements.  Also, the fact that crazy seems commonplace in the South rings true to those of us who have Southern families with stories about some of the distant relatives...

My poor husband is about at the end of his patience with me disappearing into one or the other of these devices for hours on end.  (Never mind that he has had his spells of doing the same thing...)  It is true that all of this "connectedness" with the wider world seems to be making relationships in the here and now more difficult.  I cannot count how many people come to my desk at work while on their cell phones, and try to have a conversation with me about their account as well as a conversation with whomever is on the phone.  People walk through public places having rather personal conversations at a rather loud volume, completely oblivious to those around them.  Manners seem to have gotten lost somewhere along the line.  I try to be conscious of my surroundings when I am out and about.  I usually leave the cell phone in my purse unless I am stuck waiting in an office somewhere for a long period of time.  Where I grew up, being unaware of your surroundings was a good way to end up severely injured, if not dead. 

Why is it SO important that we stay "in touch" at all times these days?  Can we not go out to run errands or just to stroll around on a lovely Spring day without taking the cares of the world with us?  There is no one I need to talk to so badly and so often that I must have my phone glued to my head at all times.  My husband knows where to find me if he needs me, so do my coworkers and friends, so I don't need to worry about being  "unavailable."  I really worry about the kids I see walking around, and some, indeed, driving around, with that ever present phone either in their hands or in their ears.  People my age are little better.  Perhaps some are worse, because at our age, fingers and eyesight do not cooperate as well as they once did, and multitasking becomes a bit more of a challenge. 

My body is starting to suffer from all the sitting around staring at screens.  I get aches and pains from being in the same position too long. I am not in the same shape I was in two years ago.  Time to unplug for at least awhile and start doing the workouts EVERY DAY again.  I did that today.  Did my weight workout AND took my walk.  Physical workouts should also help my voice.  Must have strong abs to sing properly, and also the stamina gained from aerobic exercise is extremely valuable to a singer.  With a concert of opera arias, duets, ensembles and choruses coming up in Master Chorale, I need to be in top shape.  (I like singing opera better than church music anyway, and I DO sing out when I sing an aria.)  I and another student of Karen's are learning a duet to sing, and I'd like to do a duet with Matt if I can.

So I have plenty to keep me busy if I "unplug" for awhile.  If I decide to try it, I'll write about how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!