Monday, November 29, 2010

Advent - Day 2 Thankful for my Co-workers

Today I have been baking cookies for a couple of my co-workers.  Last year, I gave everyone at the library a card good for a batch of homemade cookies of their choice.  Some are just now getting around to cashing theirs in.  I have enjoyed making cookies for a specific co-worker each time someone has asked.  It gives me a chance to think about them and about how much they contribute to the joy I have working at the library. 
Our staff is like an extended family.  We all have to put up with each other, day in and day out.  We are fortunate that our staff functions well together.  We are a fun group, we know how to have a good time.  We also know how to jump in and get the work done when the going gets hectic.  It doesn't matter what the job is, someone will do it, whether it's technically their job or not.  We will all take our turn doing the mundane things that need doing.  Nobody gripes about it, either, it's truly amazing.
I really appreciate the attitude of my co-workers,  all of them share a desire to do the absolute best we can to have the best library ever!  We care about our customers, especially our "regulars", and I think they know that.  We will do what it takes to get the information or the book or dvd or audiobook that our customer needs.  (Sometimes this can involve a search of the work area; customers may need a little patience.  Library materials are very good at hiding in plain sight back there!)
The two I am baking for today are technically "substitutes", but they are in the building pretty regularly.  They both work in the other two departments, not in Circulation, where I work.  Still, they have been known to help people check out, to make library cards, even to help empty an overflowing book drop.  They are often the ones searching for needed materials in the back.  We do our best to take time to help, especially if we think we remember seeing the item in question recently.
Reflecting on the eleven years I have been at this job, I can honestly  say that I look forward to seeing my co-workers every day when I go in.  The building itself feels welcoming, and I think that is because of the positive spirit of the people I work with.
As we prepare for the holiday season, the library is decorated by the staff for the occasion.  (I missed out this year because we had other obligations.)  It is amazing what that group of people can do in only a couple of hours.  Here at home, Christmas trickles in a few decorations at a time.  Yesterday, the Advent wreath, today some towels  and the wreath on the door. 
Step by step.  Day by day.  Just like we get through the work day in easy times and in busy ones. 
Thanks, my fellow staffers, for being such a wonderful bunch of positive, helpful and inspiring people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!