Thursday, October 18, 2007

When Will Fall Fall?

That is the question around here these days. The days are getting shorter, but not a whole lot cooler. Fall is usually the most pleasant time in Oklahoma. The air is crisp, but not freezing, the skies are usually very blue, and the leaves on the trees start to turn colors and fall.
The weather people are forecasting cooler temperatures soon, but it still feels too warm out to me.
I haven't had to put the blanket on the bed yet, the quilt is still enough. (By winter, I will have flannel sheets, a blanket, a heated mattress pad, and the quilt on the bed. We turn the heat down at night to save energy.)
I have always enjoyed the Autumn season. Autumn colors look good on me and make me feel good. I use a lot of those sorts of colors around the house. Unfortunately, I like to cook a lot in the Fall, and I don't need the calories. There are so many dishes that I get inspired to try this time of year. Casseroles and stews, soups, breads, things to make you warm and comfortable.

The sad part of Autumn is putting the garden to bed for its winter sleep. Having to say goodbye for now to the roses and mums, and hope the winter freezes don't kill all the herbs. (If I can get the pots they are in to a sheltered spot and remember to keep them watered, they'll be all right.)
This is also the time to start holiday preparations. In my case, that means rehearsing Christmas music. I also ought to make something for gift giving , but I have about used up my repertoire of easy projects that make acceptable small gifts.
Ah, well. Something will come to me, I'm sure.
This was my night to work closing shift at the library, so I am rather worn out at this point. We got a lot accomplished, but I am still weary from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but please be civil!